Showing 44 results

Authority record
Corporate body

150th Anniversary Celebration Committee

  • MHM
  • Corporate body
  • 2008 - 2011

In 2011, St. Albert celebrated 150 years since its foundation in 1861. The 150th Anniversary Celebration Committee was established in 2008 with the Mission of organizing celebrations for this 150th anniversary that would engage citizens in the past, present, and future of the city. The Values of this Committee were inclusiveness, stewardship, respect, diversity, innovation, understanding, participation, and volunteerism. Margaret Plain was appointed Chair of the Committee in May 2008. Carol Watamaniuk was the vice-chair and the other Committee members were Barry Bailey, Abi Iskander, Kevin Jones, Susan Jones, Doug Kennedy, and Kent La Rose. Various sub-committees were formed to support and help the Committee, including Volunteer, Sponsorship, Partner and Operations support, Communications, Youth, Homecoming, and Rendezvous Picnic.

The Committee hosted and partnered in a variety of celebration activities over the course of 2011. There were numerous unveilings of arts and heritage pieces, such as the 150th Anniversary Quilt, George Todd Memorial, Millie Seitz Volunteer sculpture, Heart of Our Community Mural, and Star Woman sculpture. The opening of Founders' Walk and the grand reopening of the restored Grain Elevators were also included as part of the celebration. Other notable celebration events were a production of "The Black Bonspiel of Wullie MacCrimmon" from Jan. 14-16, 2011; the Canadian Western Bank Rendezvous 2011 Gala on Jan. 22, 2011; Family Day Snow Festival on Feb. 21, 2011; Cupcake Challenge on May 1, 2011; Meet the Street on June 12, 2011; Soapbox Derby on June 19, 2011; Battle of the Bands on July 1, 2011; Lehigh Hanson Rendezvous 2011 Homecoming event on July 16, 2011; Rendezvous Picnic on Aug. 28, 2011; and numerous parades.

A SENSIBLE Choice committee

  • Corporate body
  • 2001

A citizen action committee called "A S.E.N.S.I.B.L.E. Choice" was formed to draw attention to the problems of the Proposed Ray Gibbon/Riel Drive Road. Dawne Fowler, wife of Richard Fowler, was heavily involved in planning and speaking on behalf of this committee. The committee was involved in organizing information meetings, presenting at City Council, hosting a petition, and running ads in the Gazette.

Alpha Psi Chapter, Beta Sigma Phi

  • Corporate body
  • 1979 to present

The Beta Sigma Phi Sorority is a women's social, service and cultural organization. The first chapter was opened by seven women in Abilene, Kansas in 1931. Its original purpose was to provide cultural and intellectual stimulation to women who could not afford to attend college during the depression. It is now the world's largest Greek letter sorority.

The St. Albert chapter, Alpha Psi, was founded December 4, 1978 as a friendly venture by Xi Phi (Exemplar Degree.) The chapter began with fourteen members. The chapter had its first meeting on January 15, 1979. The chapter's participation in the community has included providing friendship to Youville Home residents and sponsoring babysitting courses.

Arden Theatre

  • Corporate body
  • 1984 -

When St. Albert Place was being built in 1982-83 there was a contest to name the future theatre. A winner was chosen out of a number of great submissions. The winner was Shyamal Bagchee, and his suggestion was to call the theatre the Arden. Welcoming more than 65,000 patrons to over 150 events annually, The Arden has presented excellence in artistic programming for over 30 years, offering a variety of music, theatre, and dance events for arts lovers of all ages.

Big Lake Environment Support Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1991-

St. Albert physician, Dr. Fin Fairfield, founded the Big Lake Environment Support Society (B.L.E.S.S.) in 1991. The non-profit organization had 23 founding members. Their aim was to raise interest of the public in Big Lake and protect the natural wildlife on or near the lake, as well as making available recreation activities at the lake including walking trails, canoe trips and bird watching. On January 10, 2002 the organization was named the provincial stewards for the Big Lake natural park which had been designated Special Places site in 2000. In 2005, the site became a provincial park and was named Lois Hole Centennial Provincial Park.

Activities of the organization include over ten years of bird count records for the Big Lake area. In 2006 they implemented a water quality monitoring program, obtaining baseline water quality data for Big Lake, its inlets and outlet. B.L.E.S.S. have built a viewing platform at the lake and a shelter on the Red Willow Park Trail. They have added signage relating to bird species at the lake. With help from Alberta Parks, they installed a web camera on the shores of Big Lake. They were active in the protest of the West Bypass road. B.L.E.S.S. also sponsors summer education programs hosted at the cabin at St. Albert Trail and Sturgeon Road.

B.L.E.S.S. has received two awards, the Alberta Emerald Award for Environmental Excellence and the 2005 Steward Service Excellence Award. The society has nominated Big Lake for the Special Places 2000 program and the Important Bird Areas program.

Citizens' Ad Hoc Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1977 -

The Citizens' Ad Hoc Committee for the St. Albert Community Services Advisory Board was formed in 1977 to document facility needs in the area of cultural activities. The facilities included a new library, a new museum, and visual arts and crafts. The first members of the committee were Louise Zuk, Les Graff, Shirley Martin, Lois Falkins, Sandra Vanelvik. As a result of the work begun by this committee, a building named St. Albert Place was completed in 1984.

City of St. Albert

  • Corporate body
  • 1904 -

Founded in 1861 by Father Albert Lacombe, St. Albert is the oldest, non-fortified community in Alberta and was the largest agricultural settlement west of Winnipeg. Father Lacombe, one of the earliest missionaries in the west, proclaimed Mission Hill home to the St. Albert mission settlement. He built a log chapel for ministering to the Cree and Métis. Father Lacombe Chapel, the oldest building in Alberta, is now a Provincial Heritage Site and has been restored to its original appearance. It is located on the north hill of the river and is open to tours from June to September.
St. Albert was incorporated as a village in 1904 followed by town status in 1962. St. Albert officially became a city in 1977.
Today, St. Albert is a city with over 64,645 residents. With more than 85 kilometres of trails, 1,100 acres of green space, the Arden Theatre, the visual arts studios, the Musée Héritage Museum and numerous special events.

Fort Resolution, Northwest Territories

  • Corporate body
  • 1852 -

In 1852, Father Faraud arrived at Fort Resolution and built a mission house on Moose Deer Island. The mission was moved to the mainland site of Fort Resolution in 1890 and named St. Joseph’s mission. In April 1903, three grey nuns left Montreal to work at Fort Resolution. The nuns opened the school and orphanage in September 1903; however, another account states that a residential school was opened in 1867. The school was one of the largest mission schools in the North West Territories and was attended by children from the areas of Great Slave Lake and the Mackenzie River.

Greater St. Albert Catholic schools

  • Corporate body
  • 1995

The Sisters of Charity (Grey Nuns) arrived in St. Albert from Lac Ste. Anne in 1863 and construction of a small convent that served as schoolhouse and hospital when needed was completed in 1864. St. Albert Roman Catholic Public District No. 3 was formed in 1885, and was later known as St. Albert Catholic School District No. 3. In 1995, the Greater St. Albert Catholic Regional Division No. 29 was formed with the amalgamation of three formerly independent school jurisdictions of St. Albert, Morinville, and Legal. On July 1, 2012, legislation came into effect which changed Greater St. Albert Catholic Schools status from "public" to "separate", and resulted in a legal name change to Greater St. Albert Roman Catholic Separate School District No. 734. Greater St. Albert Catholic Schools services the communities of St. Albert, Morinville and Legal as well as the districts of Cardiff, Cunningham and Guilbault.

Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire, Father Lacombe Chapter

  • 1992.29
  • Corporate body
  • 1963-1985

The first chapter of the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire was formed in 1900 by Mrs. Clark Murray of Montreal. The objects of the women's order included promoting education and patriotism, caring for the relatives of wounded or killed Canadian soldiers, and helping to provide for the relief of citizens in distress or poverty.

The St. Albert Father Lacombe Chapter of the I.O.D.E. was formed on February 6, 1963. The chapter fundraised for the local library, sponsored babysitting courses, and sponsored a local scouts group.

Results 1 to 10 of 44