Showing 111 results

Authority record

Squirettes of Mary, Marguerite D'Youville

  • 1993.27
  • Corporate body
  • 1964-1967

The Squirettes of Mary are a Roman Catholic girl's club sponsored by the local council of the Knights of Columbus. The purpose of the Squirettes is to bring Catholic girls ages 12 to 18 together to grow spiritually and socially while serving their communities.

A St. Albert branch of the Squirettes, the Marguerite d'Youville Circle #25 existed between 1964-1967. During their time in the town, the Squirettes participated in many activities, such as Canada's Centennial celebrations. Each Wednesday and Sunday during the summer of 1967, two members of the Squirettes gave tours of the Father Lacombe Museum and the Mission Hill area to visitors.

St. Albert Newcomers' Alumni

  • Corporate body
  • 1978-

The St. Albert Newcomers' Alumni was formed in 1978 out of the Newcomers' Club. At this time the membership in the Newcomers' Club was too large to serve its purpose. It was decided that once members had belonged to the Newcomers' Club for two or more years would form an Alumni club while maintaining ties to the Newcomers' Club. At the present time after 2 to 3 years as a Newcomers' Club Member, the member may move into the Alumni Club.

The Newcomers' Alumni has dinner meetings the first Tuesday of each month excluding July and August. Dinner meetings can include guest speakers or special events such as a casino night. A few meetings will be held with the Newcomers' Club. A newsletter is printed each month from August to June which details the clubs' activities. The Newcomers' Alumni executive has meetings on the second Tuesday of the month going from August to June. The club has regular fundraisers, often a craft and bake sale, and two charities are voted to receive a financial donation.

Pregnancy Help Association

  • 1996.19
  • Corporate body
  • 1980-1995

The Pregnancy Help Association (St. Albert) was founded by Jeanne MacKenzie and incorporated by the Society's Act on November 16, 1982. Ms. MacKenzie had been working with unwed mothers in Edmonton and realized that St. Albert desperately needed an organization which would provide a local support system for single pregnant women. The main purpose of the association was to provide ongoing support for single pregnant girls/women. Their mission was "to provide support services regarding pregnancy, sexuality and related issues to single young people." This included counseling, prenatal classes, advocacy, job placement and other help. The organization also did many fundraising efforts including running a children's consignment store named Kidswear. The organization changed its name to Face 2 Face Association in 1994 and disbanded on October 17, 1995.

Alpha Psi Chapter, Beta Sigma Phi

  • Corporate body
  • 1979 to present

The Beta Sigma Phi Sorority is a women's social, service and cultural organization. The first chapter was opened by seven women in Abilene, Kansas in 1931. Its original purpose was to provide cultural and intellectual stimulation to women who could not afford to attend college during the depression. It is now the world's largest Greek letter sorority.

The St. Albert chapter, Alpha Psi, was founded December 4, 1978 as a friendly venture by Xi Phi (Exemplar Degree.) The chapter began with fourteen members. The chapter had its first meeting on January 15, 1979. The chapter's participation in the community has included providing friendship to Youville Home residents and sponsoring babysitting courses.

Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire, Father Lacombe Chapter

  • 1992.29
  • Corporate body
  • 1963-1985

The first chapter of the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire was formed in 1900 by Mrs. Clark Murray of Montreal. The objects of the women's order included promoting education and patriotism, caring for the relatives of wounded or killed Canadian soldiers, and helping to provide for the relief of citizens in distress or poverty.

The St. Albert Father Lacombe Chapter of the I.O.D.E. was formed on February 6, 1963. The chapter fundraised for the local library, sponsored babysitting courses, and sponsored a local scouts group.

Laubenthal Society

This society formed out of the arts and crafts guild.

Seminary

  • Corporate body
  • 1917 - 1927

The 110 street block in Edmonton was known as “Mission Block” as it included the Oblats Maison Provinciale, St. Joachim church, St. Joachim rectory and the Convent of the Faithful Companions of Jesus. “Mission Block” was built for the expanding French community in Edmonton on land that was acquired by the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1886. St. Joseph Seminary was located in Edmonton, Alberta on 9948-110 Street. The seminary first served as a rectory and then was expanded to a provincial house in 1907. In 1917, Bishop Legal converted the building into an Oblate Scholasticate run by the oblates. In 1927, the Archdiocese purchased the seminary. St. Joachim’s church was built in 1899 at 9920-110 Street in Edmonton Alberta.

St. Albert Arts and Crafts Guild

  • 2002.06
  • Corporate body
  • 1961-1984

The St. Albert Arts and Crafts Guild, a non-profit society, was founded in 1961 and registered under the Societies Act in 1962. The founding members saw a lack of art and cultural programming and facilities in the community and strived to fill that gap. Originally, children's classes were offered for free in the Community Hall. All funds for the organization were raised through fundraising efforts and nominal fees for the adult-oriented courses.

The purpose of the Guild is to:
Foster awareness and appreciation of arts and crafts within the community
Provide opportunity for residents to practices their crafts
Provide instruction in various arts at various skill levels
Provide exhibition opportunities.

The Guild grew quickly and eventually acquired their own studio building. Until 1977 the Guild ran all visual arts programs in St. Albert. In 1976 the Guild had a thousand people registered for classes.

When the St. Albert Place opened with its extensive facilities it was decided to dissolve the Arts and Crafts Guild. The Guild was replaced by separate guilds representing the various arts forms: painters, weavers, potters, etc. The Laubental Council was formed to coordinate the efforts of the various guilds.

Results 11 to 20 of 111