Showing 46 results

Authority record
MHM · Corporate body · 1969 -

In 1969, Father Colin Levangie, OMI recruited volunteers to update the displays at Musée Lacombe Museum which was established in 1929. One of the volunteers, Arlene Borgstede, directed two committees; one on the care of collections and the other on display work. The committee which cared for the collections was responsible for cataloguing and finding the provenance of artifacts which had no inventory. The ownership of the artifacts belonged to either the Oblates of Mary Immaculate or the Archdiocese of Edmonton. By 1971, the Father Lacombe Museum Board was formed to help administer the museum and the artifacts. At this point, Musée Lacombe Museum changed its name to Father Lacombe Museum. The Museum Board was incorporated in 1972 as the St. Albert Historical Society (SAHS) with Arlene Borgstede as president. The society was interested in managing, collecting and preserving materials related to the history of St. Albert as well as administering the Father Lacombe Museum and increasing public awareness of St. Albert’s history. In 1975, SAHS hired a permanent Heritage Officer to coordinate museum work, conduct tours and answer reference requests.
SAHS was also responsible for the establishment of the Albert Lacombe Historical Foundation (ALHF) in 1977. The ALHF formed in response to the Oblates’ plans to demolish Vital Grandin Centre, also known as the Bishop’s Residence. ALHF’s purpose was to sponsor, establish and administer a historical complex including Father Lacombe Chapel and Vital Grandin Centre on St. Albert’s Mission Hill. In 1978, SAHS conducted a historical buildings inventory. Once the province designated Vital Grandin Centre a provincial historic site, the ALHF disbanded. From 1977 to 1983, SAHS administered the Father Lacombe Museum during the summer months under the auspices of Provincial Historic Sites. SAHS was responsible for hiring staff, managing programs, receiving money to administer the chapel and paying for operations.
In 1980, SAHS undertook a project to restore the bells on Mission hill. Father Émile Tardiff, OMI believed that the bells were cracked so he rested the bells in a stone frame in 1957. Later, it was discovered that the bells were out of tune and not cracked and as a project for Alberta’s 75th anniversary, the bells were restored into a campanile. This restoration took place with the assistance of Canadian Pacific Railway and the federal government.
SAHS was extensively involved in the planning and development of St. Albert Place, the city’s civic, cultural and administrative complex. In 1983 the Musée Héritage Museum was opened. SAHS gave Musée its small collection of artifacts and Musée had to treat those artifacts as loans. Care of the artifacts and exhibits became the responsibility of the new museum under the City of St. Albert.
In 1988, SAHS organized a Homecoming to have a reunion for significant and founding families and individuals of the community. With the homecoming, SAHS undertook a project called Founder’s Walk. They laid out a shale walkway and plaques as well as planted trees to honour significant and founding families and peoples for St. Albert. The shale walkway was not maintained and, in 2006, the society initiated a project to make a new Founder’s Walk. The City of St. Albert, SAHS and a number of stakeholders and funding contributors were involved in the project. The new Founder’s Walk was completed in 2011 for St. Albert’s 150th anniversary and resulted in historical panels, landscaping and a walkway to honour St. Albert’s history.
SAHS was also involved in publications and much of their collection developed around their publishing activities. Their publications include St. Albert: A Pictorial History (1978), Black Robe’s Vision: A History of St. Albert and District (1985), and A Week in the Life of St. Albert (1990). SAHS also created videos regarding St. Albert’s History. In 2001, Then, Now and Forever was produced.
In 2011, the society undertook a Buffalo Hunt project to honour the buffalo hunt as a heritage activity that was crucial to the first settlers of St. Albert. According to the society, agriculture was not sufficient for the community to survive and the hunt was integral to the fecundicity of the community. The Buffalo Hunt project resulted in a statue erected on south-east corner of Sir Winston Churchill and Perron St.
SAHS was renamed St. Albert Heritage Society from 1998 to 2005, but returned to its original incorporated name in 2005. The aims of the SAHS from this point were to encourage an appreciation of the history of St. Albert by preserving and promoting the history of St. Albert and area.
The SAHS voted to dissolve the organization at their AGM on Sept. 26, 2020.

Corporate body · 1999

In its Proclamation on Aging, the United Nations General Assembly decided to declare 1999 as the International Year of Older Persons. Individual communities in Canada celebrated this year in whatever ways they saw fit. In St. Albert, a grassroots committee first met in October 1998 to plan events and activities through 1999. Fran Preston served as the Chair. The St. Albert IYOP Committee promoted partnerships with many community groups, schools, clubs, businesses, and churches to raise awareness of seniors' contributions to the community and to their needs. Highlighted events include: Seniors; Bookclub at SAPL; mall walks at Grandin Mall; Towne Tour and Trade Show; afternoon teas; IYOP Business Recognition Awards; Steady As You Go (SAYGO) workshops; Family Fest celebrations.

The St. Albert IYOP Committee also created a lasting legacy in the development of the ACT (Associated Canadian Travelers) Celebration Garden. Profiles Visual Arts Society partnered with the St. Albert IYOP Committee to create a garden in the Red Willow Park System west of Chateau Mission Court adjacent to the walking trail along the north bank of the Sturgeon River. The Celebration Garden features a fountain with a sculpture titled Butterfly Sails, by Karen Ho Fatt.

St. Albert K-Ette Club
Corporate body · 1974 -

The K-Ette Club of St. Albert was formed on November 29, 1974.

MHM · Corporate body · est. 1983

The St. Albert Merchants are a Canadian Junior B ice hockey team founded in 1983. They play in the Capital Junior Hockey League and are among the most successful teams in the CJHL.

Corporate body · 1973 -

The St. Albert Minor Baseball Association (SAMBA) started in 1973 under its original name, the St. Albert Minor Baseball League. It would formally adopt the SAMBA name in 1976 and was incorporated on May 27, 1977. The Legion Memorial Park started in 1979 which assisted the City with hosting the Alberta Summer Games during 1979. In 1977 the Ladies Auxiliary started. Expansion and facilities improvement were included in the Red Willow Urban Park Master Plan in 1992. The group has enjoyed the support of the St. Albert Legion. Renovation of facilities, including the clubhouse, was started with a $200,000 grant Community Facility Enhancement Program for Legion Memorial Park expansion and upgrading. The new clubhouse was opened in 1993.

MHM · Corporate body · 2009 -

The Society hosts and plans an annual event showcases and celebrates the Indigenous community through Dance, Music and Artisans of the Inuit, First Nation and Métis peoples. The first one held was in 2009.

St. Albert Newcomers' Alumni
Corporate body · 1978-

The St. Albert Newcomers' Alumni was formed in 1978 out of the Newcomers' Club. At this time the membership in the Newcomers' Club was too large to serve its purpose. It was decided that once members had belonged to the Newcomers' Club for two or more years would form an Alumni club while maintaining ties to the Newcomers' Club. At the present time after 2 to 3 years as a Newcomers' Club Member, the member may move into the Alumni Club.

The Newcomers' Alumni has dinner meetings the first Tuesday of each month excluding July and August. Dinner meetings can include guest speakers or special events such as a casino night. A few meetings will be held with the Newcomers' Club. A newsletter is printed each month from August to June which details the clubs' activities. The Newcomers' Alumni executive has meetings on the second Tuesday of the month going from August to June. The club has regular fundraisers, often a craft and bake sale, and two charities are voted to receive a financial donation.

Corporate body · 1987-1988

The St. Albert Olympic Celebration and Torch Committee was created in 1987. In 1988, the Winter Olympic Games were held in Calgary, and as a precusor to the games, the Eternal Flame, representing the spirit of the Olympic movement, was the centre of a relay across Canada on its way to Calgary. When the flame passed through St. Albert, an event was organized by the Olympic Celebration and Torch Committee so that St. Albert's citizens could get the opportunity to see the torch and the city could celebrate the Olympics in Alberta. Alderman Margaret Plain was chariman of the Olympic Celebration and Torch Committee. The committee planned many activities and celebrations, including the Olympic Torch party, Saturday, February 6, 1988 at St. Albert Place; and the Olympic Torch Relay, Wednesday, February 10, 1988, when the torch passed through St. Albert on its way to the XV Olympic Winter Games in Calgary.

St. Albert Public Library
Corporate body · 1946 -

The first Library in St. Albert was a travelling collection operated by Susie Atkinson in the 1930s. Mrs. Atkinson would obtain books from the Department of Extension at the University and circulate them from her home or at various gatherings and meetings in the community.
From 1946 to 1967 the embryo library, under the initial sponsorship of the Women's Institute, had a number of homes. They were stored at Mrs. Lena Lafranchise's office for the first two years and Mrs. Molly Laderoute was the first "librarian". The books were then kept in Mr. Benion's butcher shop where shelves were built by Bert Sumner. In 1948 a library Board was established with members outside the W.I. By 1950 there were 969 books and 95 subscribers. At this time the library moved to the Community League building and Mrs. Millie Herron was the library convenor. In 1959 the library moved to the Town Hall. In 1961 the Town Council established a municipal library under the Provincial Libraries Act. In 1967 the St. Albert Public Library opened in its own building on Glenview Crescent. The rapid growth of the City soon rendered the building inadequate and a new library was included in the plans made in the late 1970s for a Civic and Cultural Centre. In March of 1982 the Library moved to an interim site at 31 Fairview Boulevard, and in December 1983, opened in St. Albert Place. Pamela Forsyth was the Library's first Director.

Corporate body · 1958

On April 1, 1958, the Alberta Minister of Education authorized the formation of the St. Albert Protestant Separate School District No. 6. The first trustees were Ronald Harvey (chairman), Jim Dobie, Ken Bird, Roy Hart, Frank Bell, and Harry Armstrong. On Nov. 22, 1958, the first school, Sir Alexander MacKenzie school, was opened. In 1961, Sir George Simpson Junior High school was opened. Other schools in this District include elementary schools Elmer S. Gish, Keenooshayo, Leo Nickerson, Lois E. Hole, Muriel Martin, Robert Rundle, Ronald Harvey, and Wild Rose; junior high schools Lorne Akins, Sir George Simpson, and W.D. Cuts; and high schools Bellerose, Outreach high school, Paul Kane, and St. Gabriel.