Showing 108 resultsAuthority record
- 6 May 1931 - 14 July 2012
Cecile Martindale (nee Laplante) has been a prominent member of the St. Albert community, especially in the arts. She was born on May 6, 1931 to Therese St. Arnaud and Emile LaPlante on a farm near Vimy, Alberta. In 1950, Martindale received a scholarship from the School of Agriculture in Vermilion to attend the University of Alberta. She graduated from the University of Alberta in 1955 with a major in home economics and a minor in art and French. She married Larry Martindale on July 16, 1955 at St. Anthony Pro Cathedral. Larry Martindale was born April 7, 1932 in Prince Albert, Sask., to Jo Samson and Charles Martindale.
Cecile Martindale began teaching full-time in St. Albert in September 1955. The Martindale family later moved to live in St. Albert in February 1960. She was a founding member of the St. Albert Arts and Crafts Guild in the 1960s and has remained involved in the arts guilds and the Laubenthal studios She was also an important member in the St. Albert Pottery Guild and received a lifetime membership to that guild. In 1961, Cecile Martindale was asked by the parish priest to start a kindergarten; she taught French, while her friend Claudette taught in English. She taught kindergarten until 1966, when she started teaching home economic classes in regular schools and worked as a substitute teacher for St Albert high. Martindale had four sons: Darrell, Glen, Ken, and Neil. She passed away on July 14, 2012 and is buried in St. Albert Cemetery.
- 1917 - 2011
Alexander McDonald was born on May 2, 1869 in Ontario. His father was Angus McDonald and his mother was Catherine McPherson. He married Sarah McDonald on July 1, 1984. In 1895, Alexander McDonald purchased River Lot 8 in St. Albert, where he built the family house and barn. Alexander’s brother, Duncan George McDonald, also moved to St. Albert and purchased River Lot 9. Alexander and Sarah McDonald had four children: Christina (Tena) Catherine, Romeo (Romey) Alexander, Jeannette Anne, and Angus. Alexander McDonald passed away on December 28, 1940 and Sarah McDonald passed away on March 24, 1945—both are buried in the St. Albert Cemetery.
Christina (Tena) McDonald was born on July 18, 1896. She worked as a nurse at the Innisfail Hospital in the 1940’s and worked as a nurse’s aide at the St. Albert Youville Home in the 1950’s. She also worked for a short time for the Sisters of the Assumption in Battleford, Saskatchewan. She retired to the Youville Home in 1979, and passed away on October 1, 1983.
Romeo (Romey) McDonald was born May 8, 1898. On July 11, 1934, he married Kathleen McDaniel, born on July 2, 1907 in Belfast, Ireland, to Patrick and Bridget McDaniel. They had eight children: Patrick Alexander (b. 1935), Brian Donald (b. 1936), Desmond Joseph (b. 1938), Frank Anthony (b. 1939), Jeannette Bridget (b. 1942), Kevin Emmet (b. 1944), Sarah Alexandra (b. 1946), and John Gerald (1947). The family lived on River Lot 8. Romeo McDonald passed away on February 17, 1982 and Kathleen McDaniel passed away on April 11, 1983.
Sister Jeannette McDonald was born August 31, 1902. In 1923, she entered the novitiate of the Sisters of the Assumption at Nicolet, Quebec, and became known as Sister Marguerite d’Ecosse. She taught in in schools around Alberta and Saskatchewan from 1926 to 1968. In 1977, Sister Jeannette retired to the convent in St. Paul, but entered the Youville Home in St. Albert following a stroke. She passed away on March 2, 1983.
Angus James McDonald James was born June 7, 1905. He married Cecile Veness in February 1938 and they had two children, Joan and Donald. Cecile Veness was born on July 13, 1909 to Walter Veness and Rose Anna Leonard. Both were involved in the St. Albert community. Angus McDonald was a member of the Lions Club and the Knights of Columbus. Starting in 1958, he also served as a trustee for the St. Albert School District No. 3, and he later became chairman of the Board of Trustees until 1961. Cecile Veness belonged to the Women’s Institute, the Altar Society, the Catholic Women’s League, and the St. Albert 4-H Clothing Club.
- Musée Héritage Museum
- Corporate body
- 1984 -
The Musée Héritage Museum is the first civic museum in St. Albert. It opened on May 31, 1984 in St. Albert Place with the mission of preserving the history of St. Albert and area. It opened its permanent exhibit in 1988. The collections were originally artifacts from the St. Albert Historical Society, but the Museum has continued to collect both artifacts and archival material. Services include exhibits on St. Albert history, especially Métis history, travelling exhibits, guided tours, education programs, special events, information and reference services, publications, and lending travelling exhibits and kits. The Musée Héritage Museum also functions as the St. Albert archives. In addition to artifacts and archives, the Museum also manages historic sites: the Little White School, the St. Albert Grain Elevators, and the Father Lacombe Chapel. The Museum is funded by the City of St. Albert under the Arts and Heritage Foundation of St. Albert, and it is managed by an independent board. The Museum's first Curator was Michael Tymchuk, followed by Acting Curator Peggy Fortier, then James Tirrul-Jones as Director, followed by Karen Korchinki, Alexandra Hatcher, and Ann Ramsden. The current Director of the Museum is Shari Strachan.
Earlier called “Wehahuskooseya Sakayekun” (Stinking Grass Lake), the Onion Lake area was a popular meeting place in the 1700s and 1800s as wild onions grew there which were desired after a winter diet of meat. The area was also a popular meeting place as it was located on the Fort Carlton to Fort Edmonton trail. Onion Lake is under Treaty 6 which was signed by Chief Seekaskootch and Chief Makaoo in 1896. A Roman Catholic presence existed in Onion Lake as early as 1866 with the first mass conducted by Father Mérer. Father Marchand, who founded the mission in 1884, wanted to open a day school in 1885; however, a day school was not granted until 1888 when the mission was under Father Vachon. In 1891, the first three sisters to arrive to work at the mission included Sister St. Ignace, Sister St. Stainlas and Sister St. Patrice from the Sisters of the Assumption. With the arrival of the sisters, the first residential school was open in 1891 and was named St. Anthony’s. The first residential school was a 30’ x 18’ frame building which replaced the previous day school. The school was destroyed by fire in 1894 and a three-floor building, 35’ x 45’, was made in its place. The ground floor consisted of a classroom as well as the girls’ workroom and the second story was used as the dormitory with the girls and boys’ sections divided. The building served as the school until 1927 or 1928 when the building was destroyed by fire. A larger school, at a different site, referred to as ‘Le Chateau’ or ‘the White Castle’ by the nuns was opened in 1928 and closed in 1968.
Margaret Plain has played a very significant role in the community of St. Albert where she has lived since 1972. Plain helped found St. Albert Stop Abuse in Families (SAIF). She has also served on the boards of various agencies and organizations including the St. Albert Historical Society, Sturgeon General Hospital Board, and Capital Health Authority Health Board. Plain has also been involved in the organization of many community events such as Celebrate 125, Homecoming 88, 1994 Alberta Winter Games, and Rendezvous 2011. She served on St. Albert City Council for 5 terms: 1986-1989 with Mayor Richard Fowler, 1989-1992 with Mayor Anita Ratchinsky, 1992-1995 with Mayor Anita Ratchinsky, 1995-1998 with Mayor Anita Ratchinsky, and 1998-2001 with Mayor Paul Chalifoux. In 2010, Plain was named St. Albert Volunteer Citizen of the Decade. Margaret Plain is married to Richard Plain.
- fl. 1974 - 2004
Richard Plain served as mayor of St. Albert for two terms in 1974-1977 and in 2001-2004. Plain holds a doctorate and taught at the University of Alberta as an associate professor until his retirement in 2001. In 1979-1981, Plain was the chairman for the St. Albert Citizens Committee opposing Edmonton's proposal to annex St. Albert. For his work in this committee, Plain was named St. Albert's 1981 Citizen of the Year. Plain is married to Margaret Plain.