Showing 111 results

Authority record

Brutinel, Raymond, Brigadier-General

  • 2014.22
  • Person
  • 6 May 1882 - 21 September 1964

Brigadier-General Raymond Pierre Marc Brutinel was born May 6, 1882 in Alet-les-Bains, Aude, France. His father was Louis Brutinel and his mother was Louise Maury. In 1903, Brutinel married Marie Calamun (1882-1952). They divorced in 1907 but continued to live together. Brutinel had a daughter, Raymonde (b. 1905) and two sons, Roger (b. 1904) and Pierre (b. 1909).

In 1904, Brutinel and his family moved to Canada. They settled in Edmonton, Alberta but Brutinel also bought property in St. Albert. During his time in Alberta, Brutinel served as editor for Le Courrier de L’Ouest, Alberta’s first French language newspaper. He also surveyed routes and resources for the development of the Grand Trunk Railway. He discovered the coal-rich region around Pembina and is considered the founder of the area known as the Coal Branch. Brutinel was also instrumental in building the Interurban Railway between Edmonton and St. Albert, which ran until 1914.

In 1913, Brutinel and his family moved to Westmount, Montreal. At the start of World War I, Brutinel joined the Canadian army and pioneered the formation of a mobile motorized machine gun unit, financing it himself and soliciting donations from other wealthy citizens in Montreal, Ottawa, and Winnipeg. In August 24, 1914, Brutinel enrolled the first recruits for the Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade, which was the first fully mechanized unit of the British Empire. The Motor Machine Gun Brigade played a significant role in many battles, including Vimy, Canal de Nord, and Somme.

At the end of World War I, in 1919, Brutinel returned to Westmount, Montreal, only to discover that his lawyer had lost all of his assets. Brutinel moved to France in the same year where he worked and invested in different businesses including the Schneider-Creusot Company and the Banque Adam, and purchased several properties and vineyards. Between 1939-1945, during World War II, Brutinel worked with the French Resistance and developed an underground network to aid escaped prisoners of war and downed airmen, as well as send messages.

Brutinel won many military awards, including the Distinguished Service Order (1916), Officier de la Legion d’Honneur (1918), Order of St Michael and St George (1918), Order of the Bath (1919), Croix de Guerre with stars and palm (1919), Commandeur de la Legion d’Honneur (1926). He earned seven citations to the Order of the British Army between 1916-1919, two citations to the Order of the French Army (1918), and a citation to the Order of the 42nd D.I. delivered by General Deville (1918). Brutinel was a naturalized Canadian citizen. He died on September 21, 1964 in his Chateau near Couloume-Mondebat, Gares, in France.

Main source for biographical note from: Baylaucq, Dominique, and Jacques Baylaucq. Brutinel: The Extraordinary Story of a French Citizen Brigadier-General in the Canadian Army. Trans. Shelley Pomerance. St Albert: Arts and Heritage Foundation of St. Albert, 2014.

Pratt, Edmond

  • Person

Joseph Edmond Pratt was born in St. Vincent de Paul, Quebec in 1890. He studied in Ottawa at Sacré-Coeur Juniorat and continued his studies at St. Joseph's, Edmonton in 1917. In May 1918 at St. Joachim in Edmonton, Edmond Pratt was ordained a Roman Catholic priest for the order of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. Father Pratt taught at the St. Jean Juniorat in Edmonton, AB (1918-1919), then served as a missionary in Fort Resolution, NWT (1919-1920) and was a teacher again at St. Jean Juniorat (1920-1922). He worked as a missionary in North Battleford, SK (1922), Saddle Lake, AB (1922-1929), Onion Lake, SK (1929-1930) and Le Goff, Cold Lake, AB (1930-1934). Father Pratt was principal of Onion Lake's residential school, St.Anthony's, (1934-1938) and Hobbema's residential school (1938-1939). He was treasurer of the Blue Quills residential school in St. Paul, AB (1939-1941) and returned to North Battleford (1941-1942). From 1942-1970 he was priest at Rivière-qui-Barre also known as St. Alexander Mission. During this time, he also was the chaplain of the jail in Fort Saskatchewan. Father Pratt died in 1970 and is buried at the oblate cemetery in St. Albert, AB.

Williams, Marion

  • Person
  • 1894 - 14 Sep. 1969

Marion Letitia Williams, nee Peacock, was born at Blackburn in Lancashire, England in 1894. She was mostly known as the wife of cattleman, Lee Williams, who she married on December 20, 1919, and had one son, Jack Leland Redavats Williams. After a long battle with cancer, she died on September 14, 1969 in Edmonton, Alberta.

Williams, Jack

  • Person
  • 25 Oct. 1923 - 27 Feb. 2013

Jack Leland Redavats (Riudavets) Williams, born on October 25, 1923 in Edmonton, Alberta as the only son of cattleman, Lee Williams. Between 1946-1949. he graduated with an honours degree in chemistry from the University of Alberta, a doctorate degree in organic chemistry from the University of Illinois, and a DuPont PhD fellowship from the University of Wisconsin. He worked in the Chemical Division at Eastman Kodak Research Laboratories for many years, eventually achieving Senior Division Head in Rochester, New York. On October 7, 1952, he married Helen Mary Quigley and had 5 children, Leland, Mark, Jack, Julie, and Janet. After separating from his wife in 1982, and a brief relationship with Ursula Krauch of Heidelberg, Germany, he spent his remaining years with life partner, Leona Pritchard from 1997 until his death on February 27, 2013 in St. Albert, Alberta.

Weiller & Williams Co. Ltd.

  • 2015.01
  • Corporate body
  • 11 Dec. 1925 -

Weiller & Williams Co. Ltd. of the North Edmonton Stockyards is one of the oldest cattle-commission firms in Canada. The company was chartered to buy and sell, import and export, and slaughter cattle, hogs, sheep, poultry and all other livestock and livestock products. As well, they acquired ranches and farms to carry on the trade of livestock rearing and manufacturing, and erected buildings necessary for the purposes of the company’s business.

In 1911, Leland Stanford Williams moved from New York to Edmonton to work for Swift & Company where he started in construction work, but later progressed to handle Swift’s livestock department. In 1916, Swift Canadian Co. transferred Williams to work in Winnipeg, where his talent in the livestock commission business was recognized by Henry Weiller. In 1917, Williams began working with Weiller in a livestock commission business named, Wood, Weiller & McCarthy in Edmonton. When McCarthy of the partnership resigned, the company was renamed.

Thus, on December 11, 1925, Weiller & Williams Co. Ltd. was co-founded by the two. Since the founding, Weiller and Williams built a strong relationship with Weiller responsible for the financial backing, and Williams on the livestock commission frontline. By 1927, in addition to the main stake in Edmonton, Weiller and Williams had opened offices in Calgary, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, St. Paul (Minnesota), and Chicago (Illinois). The company later expanded to additional branches in Lloydminster (Saskatchewan) and Fargo (North Dakota). When Weiller passed away in 1956, Williams took over as the principal of the company.

St. Albert Games Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1992-1994

On Feb. 3, 1992, St. Albert, Alberta, was declared the host city for the 1994 Alberta Winter Games. In June 1992, Bill Hole was named the Games Chairman. The St. Albert Games Society was incorporated on Dec. 17, 1992 to organize and manage the Alberta Winter Games, which were held on March 3-6, 1994 in various locations in St. Albert and Edmonton. There were indoor and outdoor competitive sports events for the Winter Games: Archery, 5-pin bowling, 10-pin bowling, Special "O" bowling, boxing, fencing, gymnastics, judo, karate, squash, table tennis, wrestling, curling, figure skating, hockey (male), hockey (female), ringette, speed skating, alpine skiing, biathlon, cross-country skiing, luge, Nordic combined skiing, and freestyle skiing. In addition to sports events, the St. Albert Games Society also organized cultural and promotional events alongside the Winter Games. The Games office was officially opened on March 3, 1993 at 20B Sir Winston Churchill Avenue.

Lynn Redekopp

  • Person
  • 1947 -

Born Lynn Bardsley on 10 Feb 1947 in Brandon, Manitoba where she started her journalism career as a teen correspondent from Brandon Collegiate Institute to the daily Brandon Sun. The paper eventually hired her as one of the first female news reporters in 1966. She was also a “stringer” (freelancer) for the Winnipeg Free Press. After marrying Dale Redekopp, a member of the Royal Canadian Air Force, the couple moved to Ottawa when Lynn worked at the Ottawa Citizen. A transfer to Regina led to work at the Leader-Post and also to the University of Regina as information officer. Moose Jaw followed and work at the Times-Herald. Lynn temporarily retired when Jared, the first of her two sons was born in 1974. Wade followed in 1976. Lynn kept active in the community and one of her volunteer positions was to write the programme for Ken Mitchell’s play The Medicine Line which was done as an old-fashioned broadsheet newspaper. The family first moved to St. Albert in 1977 where Lynn was an active volunteer in the community. It was followed by a second move to Ottawa. Dale returned to 435 Squadron at CFB Edmonton in 1984 and the family settled again in St. Albert. Lynn applied for a part-time job as proofreader at the Gazette and eventually began writing again. Her column “Scene and Heard” chronicled interesting items about local residents while “At Your Service” told about the wonderful work of local service clubs. She also wrote profile pieces on local citizens from all walks of life. In 1991, the family moved to Lahr, Germany where Dale operated the airport at 5 Air Movements Unit (later 1 Air Transport Unit) and Lynn worked as a writer/proofreader at Der Kanadier, the Canadian Armed Forces newspaper in Europe. Lynn retired from newspaper writing when the family returned to St. Albert in 1993. While living in St. Albert, Lynn has helped write/edit newsletters for several organizations including Les Tournesols playschool, 533 Air Cadets and SAVAC – the St. Albert Visual Arts Council. She also was a proofreader for a variety of publications including the Alberta Chamber of Commerce as well as three novels.

St. Albert Children's Theatre

  • Corporate body
  • 1981 -

In 1978 the City of St. Albert introduced performing arts programs that were more relevant to community theatre. By 1979 the City had shifted the program’s emphasis to children’s theatre. In 1981 the City created a Cultural Leadership Coordinator position, which helped focus this programming to develop leadership skills in youth. This focus led to the inception of Imaginings — the City’s 1981 summer drama program. Imaginings presented St. Albert’s first all-children production, The Hobbit. From that, St. Albert Children’s Theatre was born.
In 1983 St. Albert Place opened its doors and St. Albert Children’s Theatre (SACT) became its "resident" company. SACT put on regular spring and winter productions. Also utilized were summer students interested in careers within the theatre community, giving them practical experience. As well as the larger productions produced by the theatre, the organization has also offered drama summer camps.

St. Albert Minor Baseball Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1973 -

The St. Albert Minor Baseball Association (SAMBA) started in 1973 and was incorporated in 1977. The Legion Memorial Park started in 1979 which assisted the City with hosting the Alberta Summer Games during 1979. In 1977 the Ladies Auxiliary started. Expansion and facilities improvement were included in the Red Willow Urban Park Master Plan in 1992. The group has enjoyed the support of the St. Albert Legion. Renovation of facilities, including the clubhouse, was started with a $200,000 grant Community Facility Enhancement Program for Legion Memorial Park expansion and upgrading. The new clubhouse was opened in 1993.

St. Albert Comets Hockey Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1976

St. Albert Comets Hockey Club was registered as a corporation with the Alberta Consumer and Corporate Affairs Companies Branch on June 7, 1976. The Comets were a member team of the Alberta Major Intermediate Hockey League (AMIHL). They operated under an executive of President, Vice President, Secretary Manager, Time Keeper, Goal Judges, Statistician, and an advertising committee of three persons. 20 players were involved. The financial responsibility of the club toward its players was to supply them with equipment and transportation only. The players did not contribute financially toward the club. They donated their time for practice and games, and helped the club by selling various types of raffle tickets. All executive and other members were local people. Of the 20 players, 7 were local and 13 were from the surrounding area.

Results 51 to 60 of 111