Showing 111 results

Authority record

St. Albert Olympic Celebration and Torch Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1987-1988

The St. Albert Olympic Celebration and Torch Committee was created in 1987. In 1988, the Winter Olympic Games were held in Calgary, and as a precusor to the games, the Eternal Flame, representing the spirit of the Olympic movement, was the centre of a relay across Canada on its way to Calgary. When the flame passed through St. Albert, an event was organized by the Olympic Celebration and Torch Committee so that St. Albert's citizens could get the opportunity to see the torch and the city could celebrate the Olympics in Alberta. Alderman Margaret Plain was chariman of the Olympic Celebration and Torch Committee. The committee planned many activities and celebrations, including the Olympic Torch party, Saturday, February 6, 1988 at St. Albert Place; and the Olympic Torch Relay, Wednesday, February 10, 1988, when the torch passed through St. Albert on its way to the XV Olympic Winter Games in Calgary.

St. Albert Summer Games Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1979

St. Albert opened its doors to young athletes from across the province in 1979, when the city hosted the Alberta Summer Games on August 2-6. The Games featured "Festival '79", a cultural celebration designed to enhance the Games through the involvement of the cultural community. The Festival ran for 17 days, and included events such as a craft fair and sale, a fiddling competition, a backgammon tournament, plays, street dances, and a seniors' choir festival.

Arden Theatre

  • Corporate body
  • 1984 -

When St. Albert Place was being built in 1982-83 there was a contest to name the future theatre. A winner was chosen out of a number of great submissions. The winner was Shyamal Bagchee, and his suggestion was to call the theatre the Arden. Welcoming more than 65,000 patrons to over 150 events annually, The Arden has presented excellence in artistic programming for over 30 years, offering a variety of music, theatre, and dance events for arts lovers of all ages.

St. Albert Centennial Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1966

The City of St. Albert formed the St. Albert Centennial Committee for the purposes of organizing activities for Canada’s centennial as well as promoting the event and celebrating the event with the rest of Canada. The St Albert Centennial Committee was formed in April 1966 and its members included Mr. DF MacEachern, Mr. C Tennant, Mr. D Hunt, Mr. R Russell and Mr. G Curial.

A SENSIBLE Choice committee

  • Corporate body
  • 2001

A citizen action committee called "A S.E.N.S.I.B.L.E. Choice" was formed to draw attention to the problems of the Proposed Ray Gibbon/Riel Drive Road. Dawne Fowler, wife of Richard Fowler, was heavily involved in planning and speaking on behalf of this committee. The committee was involved in organizing information meetings, presenting at City Council, hosting a petition, and running ads in the Gazette.

Dixon, Richard

  • Person

Richard Dixon is from Edmonton, Alberta. For the last 30 years he has created paintings that are historical dramas of life in Western Canada during the eras of the fur trade and native occupation of the land, many of which hang in major corporate, government, museum and private collections worldwide. His project "Alberta History Project" included 100 fully developed paintings of the Alberta region from 1754 to 1905, and was presented at the 100th anniversary of the Province of Alberta. His series "The Canadian Spirit Series" was the official gift presentation at the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics.

St. Albert Cemetery

  • Corporate body
  • 1945 -

In 1946, the Edmonton Military Hospital (Jesuit College) was used as a tuberculosis treatment centre for Aboriginal peoples in Alberta and the Western Arctic. Of the patients, a total of 98 Aboriginal people who had died from TB and could not be returned home for burial were buried on federal land near the Indian Residential School which was operated by the United Church of Canada. Many of the people were buried in unmarked graves, especially Inuit. The Indian Residential School managing the site closed in 1968. In 1979, 2.56 ha were transferred to St. Albert for a civic cemetery. On June 22, 1990, a cairn recording the names of the individuals buried there was dedicated and the Aboriginal Cemetery plaque unveiled. The St. Albert Cemetery is owned and operated by the City of St. Albert in the interest of the public. All monies received from Cemetery Services are utilized in the administration, development, extension and perpetual care of the cemetery.

Greater St. Albert Catholic schools

  • Corporate body
  • 1995

The Sisters of Charity (Grey Nuns) arrived in St. Albert from Lac Ste. Anne in 1863 and construction of a small convent that served as schoolhouse and hospital when needed was completed in 1864. St. Albert Roman Catholic Public District No. 3 was formed in 1885, and was later known as St. Albert Catholic School District No. 3. In 1995, the Greater St. Albert Catholic Regional Division No. 29 was formed with the amalgamation of three formerly independent school jurisdictions of St. Albert, Morinville, and Legal. On July 1, 2012, legislation came into effect which changed Greater St. Albert Catholic Schools status from "public" to "separate", and resulted in a legal name change to Greater St. Albert Roman Catholic Separate School District No. 734. Greater St. Albert Catholic Schools services the communities of St. Albert, Morinville and Legal as well as the districts of Cardiff, Cunningham and Guilbault.

St. Albert & District Chamber of Commerce

  • Corporate body

The St. Albert & District Board of Trade was established on May 5, 1956. In April 1962, it became known as the St. Albert & District Chamber of Commerce. It hosts events including the St. Albert Farmers Market, the Trade Fair, Citizen of the Year Award, and the Rodeo parade held along with the Rainmaker rodeo.

"The St. Albert and District Chamber of Commerce is a membership, needs-driven organization, dedicated to providing a range of services and activities to fill current and emerging needs of the community and members we serve. We provide a forum for the analysis of issues, trends, opportunities and accomplishments that impact our membership specifically and St. Albert’s business community in general. As a group, our members are able to share information and insights for the benefit of the local business community. We interpret and report on changing governmental and economic conditions affecting the business environment. We represent the interests of our members in dealing with legislators and government officials by active and constructive participation in the legislative and administrative process." (Taken from St. Albert & District Chamber of Commerce website)

St. Albert Public School District #5565

  • Corporate body
  • 1958

On April 1, 1958, the Alberta Minister of Education authorized the formation of the St. Albert Protestant Separate School District No. 6. The first trustees were Ronald Harvey (chairman), Jim Dobie, Ken Bird, Roy Hart, Frank Bell, and Harry Armstrong. On Nov. 22, 1958, the first school, Sir Alexander MacKenzie school, was opened. In 1961, Sir George Simpson Junior High school was opened. Other schools in this District include elementary schools Elmer S. Gish, Keenooshayo, Leo Nickerson, Lois E. Hole, Muriel Martin, Robert Rundle, Ronald Harvey, and Wild Rose; junior high schools Lorne Akins, Sir George Simpson, and W.D. Cuts; and high schools Bellerose, Outreach high school, Paul Kane, and St. Gabriel.

Results 61 to 70 of 111