Affichage de 114 résultats

Notice d'autorité

Edward Callihoo family

  • Famille
  • 1910 -

Edward Jonas Callihoo (Callihoe) also known as Buck Jone, was born 18 Nov 1910 in Villeneuve, Alberta. His mother was Rosalie Campion, born on Turtleback Reservation in North Dakota, and his father was Adelaide St. Pierre Callihoo (nephew of Michel Callihoo). Nora Mae Borris was born 2 Dec 1914 to Annie Callihoo (daughter of Victoria Belcourt and Louis Jerome Callihoo) and Stoney Borris. Edward and Nora met at the Grey Nuns Convent in St. Albert and they were married on 10 May 1932 at St. Peter's Catholic Church in Villeneuve when Edward was 23 and Nora was 18 years old. They had six daughters: Evelyn Mary, Theresa Vivienne, Patricia, Loretta Germaine, Audrey Virginia, Linda Donna; and one son, Garry. Edward Callihoo passed away on 6 Dec 1978. Nora Callihoo died on 24 Jan 1993 from a heart condition. They are both buried in St. Peter's Catholic Cemetery in Villeneuve.

Le Goff, Cold Lake, AB

Le Goff is a section of the Cold Lake reserve. The St. Raphael mission began in Le Goff in 1849. In 1915 the church, St. Dominique, was constructed and the church burned down in 1917 with a new one built in 1919. A school was built in Le Goff in 1921 or 1922 and was taught by Charles Hebert ca. 1921-1930.

Squirettes of Mary, Marguerite D'Youville

  • 1993.27
  • Collectivité
  • 1964-1967

The Squirettes of Mary are a Roman Catholic girl's club sponsored by the local council of the Knights of Columbus. The purpose of the Squirettes is to bring Catholic girls ages 12 to 18 together to grow spiritually and socially while serving their communities.

A St. Albert branch of the Squirettes, the Marguerite d'Youville Circle #25 existed between 1964-1967. During their time in the town, the Squirettes participated in many activities, such as Canada's Centennial celebrations. Each Wednesday and Sunday during the summer of 1967, two members of the Squirettes gave tours of the Father Lacombe Museum and the Mission Hill area to visitors.

Pregnancy Help Association

  • 1996.19
  • Collectivité
  • 1980-1995

The Pregnancy Help Association (St. Albert) was founded by Jeanne MacKenzie and incorporated by the Society's Act on November 16, 1982. Ms. MacKenzie had been working with unwed mothers in Edmonton and realized that St. Albert desperately needed an organization which would provide a local support system for single pregnant women. The main purpose of the association was to provide ongoing support for single pregnant girls/women. Their mission was "to provide support services regarding pregnancy, sexuality and related issues to single young people." This included counseling, prenatal classes, advocacy, job placement and other help. The organization also did many fundraising efforts including running a children's consignment store named Kidswear. The organization changed its name to Face 2 Face Association in 1994 and disbanded on October 17, 1995.

St. Albert Women's Institute

  • Collectivité
  • 1946-2004

The St. Albert Women's Institute was a branch of the Alberta Women's Institute. The Alberta Women's Institute was originally organized by private citizens in 1909, and established as a body within the Department of Agriculture in 1916. The institute was designed to improve social conditions in rural and other communities by studying home economics and child welfare. The Women's Institute is a non-political, non-sectarian, and non-racial organization. It is open to rural and town women over the age of sixteen.

The interest in forming a local chapter of the Women's Institute formed after the end of World War II. The women who had worked together in the local Red Cross sought another organization in which they could serve the community. The St. Albert branch of the Women's Institute was organized on 29 October 1946 at a meeting held in the St. Albert Community Hall. The local chapter was started by Mrs. Morton who at the time was the provincial president and the St. Albert chapter's first president was Susie Atkinson.

The group was responsible for many activities in the area including founding the St. Albert library, founding the first local scholarship, organizing the first blood donor clinic in 1947, and helping with medical services in St. Albert and Sturgeon County. They also regularly arranged flower shows and community fairs, distributed Christmas hampers, set up fitness classes for women, and provided landscaping services for public areas.

The St. Albert branch continued its activities until the membership, which by then only numbered eight, voted to disband on 2 December 2004.

St. Albert Arts and Crafts Guild

  • 2002.06
  • Collectivité
  • 1961-1984

The St. Albert Arts and Crafts Guild, a non-profit society, was founded in 1961 and registered under the Societies Act in 1962. The founding members saw a lack of art and cultural programming and facilities in the community and strived to fill that gap. Originally, children's classes were offered for free in the Community Hall. All funds for the organization were raised through fundraising efforts and nominal fees for the adult-oriented courses.

The purpose of the Guild is to:
Foster awareness and appreciation of arts and crafts within the community
Provide opportunity for residents to practices their crafts
Provide instruction in various arts at various skill levels
Provide exhibition opportunities.

The Guild grew quickly and eventually acquired their own studio building. Until 1977 the Guild ran all visual arts programs in St. Albert. In 1976 the Guild had a thousand people registered for classes.

When the St. Albert Place opened with its extensive facilities it was decided to dissolve the Arts and Crafts Guild. The Guild was replaced by separate guilds representing the various arts forms: painters, weavers, potters, etc. The Laubental Council was formed to coordinate the efforts of the various guilds.

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 114