Showing 108 results

Authority record

Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire, Father Lacombe Chapter

  • 1992.29
  • Corporate body
  • 1963-1985

The first chapter of the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire was formed in 1900 by Mrs. Clark Murray of Montreal. The objects of the women's order included promoting education and patriotism, caring for the relatives of wounded or killed Canadian soldiers, and helping to provide for the relief of citizens in distress or poverty.

The St. Albert Father Lacombe Chapter of the I.O.D.E. was formed on February 6, 1963. The chapter fundraised for the local library, sponsored babysitting courses, and sponsored a local scouts group.

Squirettes of Mary, Marguerite D'Youville

  • 1993.27
  • Corporate body
  • 1964-1967

The Squirettes of Mary are a Roman Catholic girl's club sponsored by the local council of the Knights of Columbus. The purpose of the Squirettes is to bring Catholic girls ages 12 to 18 together to grow spiritually and socially while serving their communities.

A St. Albert branch of the Squirettes, the Marguerite d'Youville Circle #25 existed between 1964-1967. During their time in the town, the Squirettes participated in many activities, such as Canada's Centennial celebrations. Each Wednesday and Sunday during the summer of 1967, two members of the Squirettes gave tours of the Father Lacombe Museum and the Mission Hill area to visitors.

Pregnancy Help Association

  • 1996.19
  • Corporate body
  • 1980-1995

The Pregnancy Help Association (St. Albert) was founded by Jeanne MacKenzie and incorporated by the Society's Act on November 16, 1982. Ms. MacKenzie had been working with unwed mothers in Edmonton and realized that St. Albert desperately needed an organization which would provide a local support system for single pregnant women. The main purpose of the association was to provide ongoing support for single pregnant girls/women. Their mission was "to provide support services regarding pregnancy, sexuality and related issues to single young people." This included counseling, prenatal classes, advocacy, job placement and other help. The organization also did many fundraising efforts including running a children's consignment store named Kidswear. The organization changed its name to Face 2 Face Association in 1994 and disbanded on October 17, 1995.

St. Albert Arts and Crafts Guild

  • 2002.06
  • Corporate body
  • 1961-1984

The St. Albert Arts and Crafts Guild, a non-profit society, was founded in 1961 and registered under the Societies Act in 1962. The founding members saw a lack of art and cultural programming and facilities in the community and strived to fill that gap. Originally, children's classes were offered for free in the Community Hall. All funds for the organization were raised through fundraising efforts and nominal fees for the adult-oriented courses.

The purpose of the Guild is to:
Foster awareness and appreciation of arts and crafts within the community
Provide opportunity for residents to practices their crafts
Provide instruction in various arts at various skill levels
Provide exhibition opportunities.

The Guild grew quickly and eventually acquired their own studio building. Until 1977 the Guild ran all visual arts programs in St. Albert. In 1976 the Guild had a thousand people registered for classes.

When the St. Albert Place opened with its extensive facilities it was decided to dissolve the Arts and Crafts Guild. The Guild was replaced by separate guilds representing the various arts forms: painters, weavers, potters, etc. The Laubental Council was formed to coordinate the efforts of the various guilds.

St. Albert Historical Society

  • 2003.01
  • Corporate body
  • 1969 -

In 1969, Father Colin Levangie, OMI recruited volunteers to update the displays at Musée Lacombe Museum which was established in 1929. One of the volunteers, Arlene Borgstede, directed two committees; one on the care of collections and the other on display work. The committee which cared for the collections was responsible for cataloguing and finding the provenance of artifacts which had no inventory. The ownership of the artifacts belonged to either the Oblates of Mary Immaculate or the Archdiocese of Edmonton. By 1971, the Father Lacombe Museum Board was formed to help administer the museum and the artifacts. At this point, Musée Lacombe Museum changed its name to Father Lacombe Museum. The Museum Board was incorporated in 1972 as the St. Albert Historical Society (SAHS) with Arlene Borgstede as president. The society was interested in managing, collecting and preserving materials related to the history of St. Albert as well as administering the Father Lacombe Museum and increasing public awareness of St. Albert’s history. In 1975, SAHS hired a permanent Heritage Officer to coordinate museum work, conduct tours and answer reference requests.
SAHS was also responsible for the establishment of the Albert Lacombe Historical Foundation (ALHF) in 1977. The ALHF formed in response to the Oblates’ plans to demolish Vital Grandin Centre, also known as the Bishop’s Residence. ALHF’s purpose was to sponsor, establish and administer a historical complex including Father Lacombe Chapel and Vital Grandin Centre on St. Albert’s Mission Hill. In 1978, SAHS conducted a historical buildings inventory. Once the province designated Vital Grandin Centre a provincial historic site, the ALHF disbanded. From 1977 to 1983, SAHS administered the Father Lacombe Museum during the summer months under the auspices of Provincial Historic Sites. SAHS was responsible for hiring staff, managing programs, receiving money to administer the chapel and paying for operations.
In 1980, SAHS undertook a project to restore the bells on Mission hill. Father Émile Tardiff, OMI believed that the bells were cracked so he rested the bells in a stone frame in 1957. Later, it was discovered that the bells were out of tune and not cracked and as a project for Alberta’s 75th anniversary, the bells were restored into a campanile. This restoration took place with the assistance of Canadian Pacific Railway and the federal government.
SAHS was extensively involved in the planning and development of St. Albert Place, the city’s civic, cultural and administrative complex. In 1983 the Musée Héritage Museum was opened. SAHS gave Musée its small collection of artifacts and Musée had to treat those artifacts as loans. Care of the artifacts and exhibits became the responsibility of the new museum under the City of St. Albert.
In 1988, SAHS organized a Homecoming to have a reunion for significant and founding families and individuals of the community. With the homecoming, SAHS undertook a project called Founder’s Walk. They laid out a shale walkway and plaques as well as planted trees to honour significant and founding families and peoples for St. Albert. The shale walkway was not maintained and, in 2006, the society initiated a project to make a new Founder’s Walk. The City of St. Albert, SAHS and a number of stakeholders and funding contributors were involved in the project. The new Founder’s Walk was completed in 2011 for St. Albert’s 150th anniversary and resulted in historical panels, landscaping and a walkway to honour St. Albert’s history.
SAHS was also involved in publications and much of their collection developed around their publishing activities. Their publications include St. Albert: A Pictorial History (1978), Black Robe’s Vision: A History of St. Albert and District (1985), and A Week in the Life of St. Albert (1990). SAHS also created videos regarding St. Albert’s History. In 2001, Then, Now and Forever was produced.
In 2011, the society undertook a Buffalo Hunt project to honour the buffalo hunt as a heritage activity that was crucial to the first settlers of St. Albert. According to the society, agriculture was not sufficient for the community to survive and the hunt was integral to the fecundicity of the community. The Buffalo Hunt project resulted in a statue erected on south-east corner of Sir Winston Churchill and Perron St.
SAHS was renamed St. Albert Heritage Society from 1998 to 2005, but returned to its original incorporated name in 2005. The aims of SAHS are currently to encourage an appreciation of the history of St. Albert by preserving and promoting the history of St. Albert and area.

Beedle, John

  • 2004.03
  • Person
  • 30 Apr. 1926 - 23 Oct. 2019

John Beedle was born John Bedell in Westlock, AB to Herbert and Nellie Bedell. He was the second oldest of 6 children. He grew up working on the family homestead in Jarvie, AB. Beedle would later legally change his last name to better reflect his family’s roots. Beedle took an interest in nature as early as age 5, which would shape the rest of his life.

Beedle left home at 14 and worked various jobs before settling in St. Albert in 1962. In the late 1940s Beedle started his working career at a greenhouse in Kelowna, B.C. In the early 1950s he moved to Edmonton where he found employment at Calenso's Greenhouses and 2 years later worked at the city of St. Albert and bought a house on a small acreage on Grandin Road where he resided and cared for his mother for many years. Beedle moved through the ranks with the city of St. Albert as Parks Foreman, Parks Supervisor and in 1968 he was promoted to the position of Director of Parks and Recreation. In 1972 he became Parks Planner until his retirement in 1991. It was largely under his guidance, passion and vision that the city of St. Albert has developed its beautiful boulevards, parks, tree canopies and green spaces.

In 1989, both Beedle and former St. Albert Mayor Richard Plain came up with the idea of creating a volunteer run botanical park with a major rose garden as its centrepiece. Beedle spent countless volunteer hours helping to bring the St. Albert Botanic Gardens to fruition and the better part of the next 25 years creating the major gardens located throughout the present day botanical park. In honour of Beedle, St. Albert Botanic Park houses the John Beedle Volunteer Centre. Also, Beedle was a part of the original group that helped establish the St. Albert Garden Club in 1982 and spent many hours serving as a director with the Friends of the Devonian Botanic Garden society.

Beedle was also a member of the Edmonton Light Opera Society. He was an active participant in 26 productions over a 13 year period. In his younger days he sang in church choirs as a second tenor both as soloist and a member of the choir.

Walker, Ron

  • 2009.10
  • Person
  • n.d.

Ron Walker worked on renovations of the Vital Grandin Centre, also known as the Bishop’s Palace in the late 1970s and early 1980s. He supervised the restoration that was conducted in the old building which was originally erected in 1882.

Post, Victor

  • 2012.02
  • Person
  • 12 May, 1953 - May, 2001

Victor Post was born on May 12, 1953 in Port Colbourne, Ontario. His parents were Lena and Jack Post. Lena Post was born in Cudworth, Saskatchewan and Jack Post was from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Victor Post’s father was in the air force as a fighter pilot during World War II. After the war, the couple moved to Ontario. They had two children, Jack Jr. and Victor. In 1968, the family moved from Port Colbourne, Ontario to St. Albert, Alberta.

During his childhood, Victor Post was interested in and experimented with electronics. At age seven, he first made the news when smoke coming from one of his experiments brought the fire department to his home. From 1967 to 1971, Victor Post participated in various science fairs at local, national and international levels. He was particularly interested in holography and lasers. In 1969, Post participated in the 9th Annual Edmonton Regional Science Fair where he won third place. That same year he competed in the Canada-Wide Science Fair where he won first place. This win placed him in an international competition, the International Youth Science Fortnight in London, England where he presented helium-neon lasers for holography. During this trip he met with Dennis Gabor, a Jewish-Hungarian physicist who won a Nobel Peace Prize for his work in holography. Victor Post and Dennis Gabor corresponded for two years after meeting. While in London, Victor Post also had the opportunity to audit courses in Science and Arts at Cambridge University. In 1970, Victor Post participated in the Edmonton Regional 10th Annual Science Fair as well as the Canada-Wide Science Fair. In 1971, Victor Post participated in the Edmonton Regional Science Fair. Because of his interest in science, Victor Post began undergraduate work at the University of Alberta in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. He was able to attend courses at the university in the years 1971 and 1972 but due to health issues, he discontinued his studies.

Victor Post’s interest in photography also began at an early age. In the years 1965 to 1967 Victor Post studied portrait photography and black and white production of prints under photographer C. Healy in Ontario. In 1968, while attending Paul Kane High School in St. Albert, Victor Post worked as a part-time freelance photographer for the St. Albert Gazette. He worked for the St. Albert Gazette until 1971 when he gained employment by the Government of Alberta to photograph 4-H club and Junior Forest Warden Program activities until 1972. In 1972, he established Victor Post Photography.

From 1972 to 1986 the work at Victor Post Photography was done in the basement of Lena and Jack Post’s home. In 1986, Victor Post opened a photography studio on 8 Perron Street in St. Albert. Lena Post ran the business aspects of the studio and Victor Post managed the lab work. He hired people to help with taking photographs and lab work. The studio produced wedding and portrait photography. When on Perron Street, the studio had larger equipment than other local photographers on which to create oversize prints; this equipment included a large roller feed film processor and a large paper processor which produced 60 x 40 inch prints.

The Province of Alberta gave Victor Post many assignments to photograph dignitaries, official visits and events. His work as official photographer for the Provincial Government include:

  • 1978 – Royal visit of Queen Elizabeth II and the Commonwealth Games
  • 1983 – Royal visit of The Prince and Princess of Wales and the Universiade Games
  • 1984 – Papal visit of Pope John Paul II
  • 1985 – Royal visit of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother
  • 1987 – Royal visit of The Duke and Duchess of York
  • 1987 – Papal stopover of Pope John Paul II
  • 1988 – 1988 Winter Olympic Games
  • 1989 – Royal visit of King Hussein and Queen Noor of Jordan
  • 1990 – Royal visit of Queen Elizabeth II

In addition to his appointments by the Government of Alberta, Victor Post created scenic photography, Kirilian photography, aerial photography, and architectural photography. Included in his repertoire are photographs of famous people and politicians.

He was involved with various photographic professional organizations including the Royal Photographic Society of England, the Alberta Professional Photographers Association, and the Professional Photographers of Canada. He served on the board of the National Gallery of Canada and the Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography.

Outside of photography and science, Victor Post had other interests. He received PADI certification for scuba diving, attended private and commercial aviation schools, studied classical guitar, and served as an auxiliary constable for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Another interest of Victor Post included ham radio. A friend, Dave Gervais, had peaked Victor Post’s interest in amateur radio in the mid 1980s. By 1986, Victor Post acquired a license for ham radio. He was a member of the Northern Alberta Radio Club, Amateur Radio Emergency Services, Amateur Radio League of Alberta and Canadian Radio Relay League. In 1989 when he discovered King Hussein of Jordan also was a ham radio operator, Victor Post hosted a reception for the king and acquired a Canadian amateur radio license for the king.

With regards to his personal life, Victor Post married Kathryn Brown in 1981. When Victor Post was an auxiliary member of the RCMP, Kathy was working for the RCMP and they had met through Victor Post’s father. Victor Post struggled with Crohn’s disease throughout his life and died from the disease in 2001.

Brutinel, Raymond, Brigadier-General

  • 2014.22
  • Person
  • 6 May 1882 - 21 September 1964

Brigadier-General Raymond Pierre Marc Brutinel was born May 6, 1882 in Alet-les-Bains, Aude, France. His father was Louis Brutinel and his mother was Louise Maury. In 1903, Brutinel married Marie Calamun (1882-1952). They divorced in 1907 but continued to live together. Brutinel had a daughter, Raymonde (b. 1905) and two sons, Roger (b. 1904) and Pierre (b. 1909).

In 1904, Brutinel and his family moved to Canada. They settled in Edmonton, Alberta but Brutinel also bought property in St. Albert. During his time in Alberta, Brutinel served as editor for Le Courrier de L’Ouest, Alberta’s first French language newspaper. He also surveyed routes and resources for the development of the Grand Trunk Railway. He discovered the coal-rich region around Pembina and is considered the founder of the area known as the Coal Branch. Brutinel was also instrumental in building the Interurban Railway between Edmonton and St. Albert, which ran until 1914.

In 1913, Brutinel and his family moved to Westmount, Montreal. At the start of World War I, Brutinel joined the Canadian army and pioneered the formation of a mobile motorized machine gun unit, financing it himself and soliciting donations from other wealthy citizens in Montreal, Ottawa, and Winnipeg. In August 24, 1914, Brutinel enrolled the first recruits for the Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade, which was the first fully mechanized unit of the British Empire. The Motor Machine Gun Brigade played a significant role in many battles, including Vimy, Canal de Nord, and Somme.

At the end of World War I, in 1919, Brutinel returned to Westmount, Montreal, only to discover that his lawyer had lost all of his assets. Brutinel moved to France in the same year where he worked and invested in different businesses including the Schneider-Creusot Company and the Banque Adam, and purchased several properties and vineyards. Between 1939-1945, during World War II, Brutinel worked with the French Resistance and developed an underground network to aid escaped prisoners of war and downed airmen, as well as send messages.

Brutinel won many military awards, including the Distinguished Service Order (1916), Officier de la Legion d’Honneur (1918), Order of St Michael and St George (1918), Order of the Bath (1919), Croix de Guerre with stars and palm (1919), Commandeur de la Legion d’Honneur (1926). He earned seven citations to the Order of the British Army between 1916-1919, two citations to the Order of the French Army (1918), and a citation to the Order of the 42nd D.I. delivered by General Deville (1918). Brutinel was a naturalized Canadian citizen. He died on September 21, 1964 in his Chateau near Couloume-Mondebat, Gares, in France.

Main source for biographical note from: Baylaucq, Dominique, and Jacques Baylaucq. Brutinel: The Extraordinary Story of a French Citizen Brigadier-General in the Canadian Army. Trans. Shelley Pomerance. St Albert: Arts and Heritage Foundation of St. Albert, 2014.

Weiller & Williams Co. Ltd.

  • 2015.01
  • Corporate body
  • 11 Dec. 1925 -

Weiller & Williams Co. Ltd. of the North Edmonton Stockyards is one of the oldest cattle-commission firms in Canada. The company was chartered to buy and sell, import and export, and slaughter cattle, hogs, sheep, poultry and all other livestock and livestock products. As well, they acquired ranches and farms to carry on the trade of livestock rearing and manufacturing, and erected buildings necessary for the purposes of the company’s business.

In 1911, Leland Stanford Williams moved from New York to Edmonton to work for Swift & Company where he started in construction work, but later progressed to handle Swift’s livestock department. In 1916, Swift Canadian Co. transferred Williams to work in Winnipeg, where his talent in the livestock commission business was recognized by Henry Weiller. In 1917, Williams began working with Weiller in a livestock commission business named, Wood, Weiller & McCarthy in Edmonton. When McCarthy of the partnership resigned, the company was renamed.

Thus, on December 11, 1925, Weiller & Williams Co. Ltd. was co-founded by the two. Since the founding, Weiller and Williams built a strong relationship with Weiller responsible for the financial backing, and Williams on the livestock commission frontline. By 1927, in addition to the main stake in Edmonton, Weiller and Williams had opened offices in Calgary, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, St. Paul (Minnesota), and Chicago (Illinois). The company later expanded to additional branches in Lloydminster (Saskatchewan) and Fargo (North Dakota). When Weiller passed away in 1956, Williams took over as the principal of the company.

Results 1 to 10 of 108