Showing 108 results

Authority record

Knights of Columbus St. Albert Council #4742

  • MHM
  • Corporate body
  • 16 Feb 1959 -

The Knights of Columbus St. Albert Council #4742 was formed in 16 Feb 1959. They function within St. Albert to promote activities and programs that exemplify the Knights of Columbus principles of Charity, Unity, Fraternity and Patriotism. Activities they organize include pancake breakfasts, parish picnics, pilgrimage and Parish Grotto mass, various charitable work in the community.

Hauptman family

  • MHM
  • Family
  • 1876 -

Antoni Hauptman (b. 1876, d. 1942) and Katarzyna Mielniczek (b. 1880, d.1933) lived in Poland and had twelve children, including sons Stan (Stanislaw) (d. 27 May 1963), Kelly (Kazimierz) (d. 21 Feb 1956), Joseph (Joe) (d. 27 Oct 1985), Walter, Ted (d. 21 May 1978), and Karl (Karol) (2 Jan 2017), and daughters Maria (d. 29 Aug 1996) and Antonina. Joe Hauptman married Bernice (Bronislawa) Palonek in 1936; their son Adam was born 15 Jun 1939.

In 1940, at the outbreak of the Second World War, the Hauptman family was deported to Kotlas, in far northern Siberia. One son, Frank, died of dysentery at the camp. In 1941, at the declaration of Amnesty, the Hauptman family arrived at Samarkand. The men in the Hauptman family, John, Joe, Walter, Ted and Karl, joined the Polish Army in 1942. Sadly, John did not survive the war and their elderly father, Antoni, became ill and died in Uzbekistan. Two of the brother’s wives, along with Joe’s two-year-old son, Adam, eventually travelled to Uganda where they spent the rest of the war. Several years before the war, the two oldest Hauptman brothers, Stan and Kelly, had already emigrated to Canada. They married two Ukrainian sisters from Lamont and began the first of many businesses that the family would be involved in.

Stan Hauptman moved to St. Albert and became part owner of the Bruin Inn in the late 1940s. In 1953 he opened the St. Albert Drive-In. When the Karl and Ted arrived in St. Albert, they moved into the Bruin Inn and Ted began to work in the bar. After six years of separation Joe’s wife Bernice and nine-year-old Adam finally arrived in 1948. Bernice became the cook at the Bruin Inn where she stayed until her retirement.

Ted Hauptman went on to open the Dairy Star drive-in and the very successful Klondike Inn restaurant on St. Albert Trail.

Joe Hauptman’s son, Adam Hauptman, grew up to own his own school bus business and later, he and his wife Pat bought out Lefebvre’s jewellery store in 1968 renaming it “Sweetheart Jeweller’s”.

Karl Hauptman got a job in the aircraft industry and later started his own business, “Karol Radio Repair Service”. He opened the first drive-through restaurant in St. Albert, the Klondike Inn. Karl also served on the St. Albert Chamber of Commerce, St. Albert Parish Finance Committee and as a member of the Knights of Columbus. In 1951, Karl was married to Annette (d. 18 Sep 1981) and had sons Richard (b. 24 Jul 1953) and John, and daughter Katherine (b. 18 Nov 1958). After the death of Annette, Karl remarried in Jun 1986 to Kathy Engley.

Woodward, Florence Mae

  • Person
  • 3 Aug 1927 -

Florence Mae Woodward (nee Miller) was born in Winterburn on August 3, 1927 to Henry Charles Miller and Maria Amanda Gagne. She married Cecil Archibald Woodward at St. Stephen's College Chapel, University of Alberta, in 1953. She had three children: Lynne Jane Woodward (b. 5 Apr 1954), Katherine Anne Woodward (b. 21 Nov 1955), and William Arlie Woodward (b. 31 Oct 1957).

Ratchinsky, Anita

  • MHM
  • Person
  • fl. 1986-1998

Anita Ratchinsky was the chairwoman of the St. Albert Chamber of Commerce in 1985 and 1986. In 1986, Ratchinsky ran for city council and was elected as alderman. She then ran as mayor and was elected for three consecutive terms from 1989-1998. Ratchinsky was St. Albert's first full-time mayor and first female mayor.

Sturgeon Community Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • 1969 -

Sturgeon General Hospital officially opened in 1969, but efforts to bring an active treatment hospital to St. Albert began in 1962. As St. Albert and other surrounding communities were denied by the provincial government, a coalition was formed to request a regional hospital, which in 1965 was granted, creating the Sturgeon General Hospital District No. 100. The Sturgeon General Hospital officially opened in August 1970. This hospital buidling was closed in 1992 and demolished in 1994 following the construction of a new facility on the north edge of the city. the old structure was full of asbestos and thus considered unsafe.

Bracko, Len

  • MHM
  • Person
  • 2 Dec 1943 - 19 Aug 2017

Leonard (Len) Bracko was born in 1943 in St. Albert, Alberta. He graduated from the University of Alberta with a Bachelor of Education and a graduate diploma in Education administration. Bracko began teaching junior and senior high in St. Albert Catholic school in 1979. In 1989, Bracko ran for MLA in the provincial election with the Alberta Liberal party. However, he came in second to Progressive Conservative Richard (Dick) Fowler, former mayor of St. Albert. Later in that same year, Bracko ran for St. Albert City Council and was elected as alderman. He served as alderman from 1989-1992 before running again and winning a seat as MLA in the 1993 provincial election. Bracko served as MLA with the Liberal official opposition caucus from 1993-1997, when he lost his seat to Mary O’Neill. He returned to teaching and retired in 1997. After his retirement, Bracko ran for and was elected again to the City Council of St. Albert, and he served as alderman from 2001-2013, having been reelected three times (2004, 2007, and 2010). Bracko and his wife Barb were active with Habitat for Humanity and international development. Bracko passed away on 19 Aug 2017.

City of St. Albert

  • Corporate body
  • 1904 -

Founded in 1861 by Father Albert Lacombe, St. Albert is the oldest, non-fortified community in Alberta and was the largest agricultural settlement west of Winnipeg. Father Lacombe, one of the earliest missionaries in the west, proclaimed Mission Hill home to the St. Albert mission settlement. He built a log chapel for ministering to the Cree and Métis. Father Lacombe Chapel, the oldest building in Alberta, is now a Provincial Heritage Site and has been restored to its original appearance. It is located on the north hill of the river and is open to tours from June to September.
St. Albert was incorporated as a village in 1904 followed by town status in 1962. St. Albert officially became a city in 1977.
Today, St. Albert is a city with over 64,645 residents. With more than 85 kilometres of trails, 1,100 acres of green space, the Arden Theatre, the visual arts studios, the Musée Héritage Museum and numerous special events.

Chevigny, Octave

  • MHM
  • Person
  • 4 May 1938 - 24 Mar. 2014

The Chevigny family is one of the pioneer families of St. Albert. Octave Chevigny was born 4 May 1938 to Octave Chevigny Sr. and Dellamen Plamondon. He married Claire Plamondon.

Octave Chevigny Sr. married Julie Froment and had Prosper, Godfrey, Doree, Marie-Ange, and Cheri Chevigny. After Julie Froment's death, Octave Chevigny Sr. married Dellamen Plamondon, the widow of his brother Albert Chevigny, and had two sons Octave and George Chevigny.

Beedle, John

  • 2004.03
  • Person
  • 30 Apr. 1926 - 23 Oct. 2019

John Beedle was born John Bedell in Westlock, AB to Herbert and Nellie Bedell. He was the second oldest of 6 children. He grew up working on the family homestead in Jarvie, AB. Beedle would later legally change his last name to better reflect his family’s roots. Beedle took an interest in nature as early as age 5, which would shape the rest of his life.

Beedle left home at 14 and worked various jobs before settling in St. Albert in 1962. In the late 1940s Beedle started his working career at a greenhouse in Kelowna, B.C. In the early 1950s he moved to Edmonton where he found employment at Calenso's Greenhouses and 2 years later worked at the city of St. Albert and bought a house on a small acreage on Grandin Road where he resided and cared for his mother for many years. Beedle moved through the ranks with the city of St. Albert as Parks Foreman, Parks Supervisor and in 1968 he was promoted to the position of Director of Parks and Recreation. In 1972 he became Parks Planner until his retirement in 1991. It was largely under his guidance, passion and vision that the city of St. Albert has developed its beautiful boulevards, parks, tree canopies and green spaces.

In 1989, both Beedle and former St. Albert Mayor Richard Plain came up with the idea of creating a volunteer run botanical park with a major rose garden as its centrepiece. Beedle spent countless volunteer hours helping to bring the St. Albert Botanic Gardens to fruition and the better part of the next 25 years creating the major gardens located throughout the present day botanical park. In honour of Beedle, St. Albert Botanic Park houses the John Beedle Volunteer Centre. Also, Beedle was a part of the original group that helped establish the St. Albert Garden Club in 1982 and spent many hours serving as a director with the Friends of the Devonian Botanic Garden society.

Beedle was also a member of the Edmonton Light Opera Society. He was an active participant in 26 productions over a 13 year period. In his younger days he sang in church choirs as a second tenor both as soloist and a member of the choir.

Lefebvre, Rolland

  • MHM
  • Person
  • 1920 - 1982

Rolland Firmin Lefebvre was born in Morinville, Alberta in 1920. The family moved to Edmonton when Rolland was still young. He continued his education there and apprenticed as a printer with the French weekly newspaper “La Survivance,” funded by the Oblate Order and founded by the ACFA (Association canadienne-française de l’Alberta). The paper kept the dispersed rual communities informed of the events, local and national, affecting the lives of Franco-Albertans.

Rolland left La Survivance in 1935, during the depression, then worked as an orderly with the Grey Nuns at the Edmonton General Hospital from 1935 to 1941. In 1941 he began his study as a watchmaker and jeweller after accepting an apprenticeship with Alexander Ewen, a watchmaker from Scotland. Ewen’s business was located on 108th St and Jasper Ave. In 1941 Lefebvre married Florence Pitre and purchased an acreage on the south side of Edmonton.

In 1946, Lefebvre received his certificate from the Canadian Jeweller's Association and the Jeweller's Institute. He branched out on his own in Edmonton in 1954 when he rented an office in the Cambell Furniture building on 101A St and a few years later he moved next to the Pet Shop. The store offered watch and jewellery repair, repairs to clocks, shavers and lighters and also sold gift wares, jewellery, watches, trophies, etc.

In 1961, Lefebvre received an invitation from Mr. Maurice Tougas to join his Grandin Park Shopping Centre in St. Albert. Lefebvre moved into his new store in 1962. He ran the business successfully until 1971 when he had to sell the business and semi retire due to ill health. Mr. and Mrs. Adam Hauptman named the store Sweetheart Jewellers and opened soon thereafter and he remained as the watchmaker there for several years. Rolland Lefebvre died in 1982.

Results 1 to 10 of 108