- Corporate body
- 1945 -
In 1946, the Edmonton Military Hospital (Jesuit College) was used as a tuberculosis treatment centre for Aboriginal peoples in Alberta and the Western Arctic. Of the patients, a total of 98 Aboriginal people who had died from TB and could not be returned home for burial were buried on federal land near the Indian Residential School which was operated by the United Church of Canada. Many of the people were buried in unmarked graves, especially Inuit. The Indian Residential School managing the site closed in 1968. In 1979, 2.56 ha were transferred to St. Albert for a civic cemetery. On June 22, 1990, a cairn recording the names of the individuals buried there was dedicated and the Aboriginal Cemetery plaque unveiled. The St. Albert Cemetery is owned and operated by the City of St. Albert in the interest of the public. All monies received from Cemetery Services are utilized in the administration, development, extension and perpetual care of the cemetery.