Showing 111 results

Authority record

St. Albert Cemetery

  • Corporate body

The cemetery is owned and operated by the City of St. Albert in the interest of the public. All monies received from Cemetery Services are utilized in the administration, development, extension and perpetual care of the cemetery.

St. Albert Cemetery

  • Corporate body
  • 1945 -

In 1946, the Edmonton Military Hospital (Jesuit College) was used as a tuberculosis treatment centre for Aboriginal peoples in Alberta and the Western Arctic. Of the patients, a total of 98 Aboriginal people who had died from TB and could not be returned home for burial were buried on federal land near the Indian Residential School which was operated by the United Church of Canada. Many of the people were buried in unmarked graves, especially Inuit. The Indian Residential School managing the site closed in 1968. In 1979, 2.56 ha were transferred to St. Albert for a civic cemetery. On June 22, 1990, a cairn recording the names of the individuals buried there was dedicated and the Aboriginal Cemetery plaque unveiled. The St. Albert Cemetery is owned and operated by the City of St. Albert in the interest of the public. All monies received from Cemetery Services are utilized in the administration, development, extension and perpetual care of the cemetery.

St. Albert Arts and Crafts Guild

  • 2002.06
  • Corporate body
  • 1961-1984

The St. Albert Arts and Crafts Guild, a non-profit society, was founded in 1961 and registered under the Societies Act in 1962. The founding members saw a lack of art and cultural programming and facilities in the community and strived to fill that gap. Originally, children's classes were offered for free in the Community Hall. All funds for the organization were raised through fundraising efforts and nominal fees for the adult-oriented courses.

The purpose of the Guild is to:
Foster awareness and appreciation of arts and crafts within the community
Provide opportunity for residents to practices their crafts
Provide instruction in various arts at various skill levels
Provide exhibition opportunities.

The Guild grew quickly and eventually acquired their own studio building. Until 1977 the Guild ran all visual arts programs in St. Albert. In 1976 the Guild had a thousand people registered for classes.

When the St. Albert Place opened with its extensive facilities it was decided to dissolve the Arts and Crafts Guild. The Guild was replaced by separate guilds representing the various arts forms: painters, weavers, potters, etc. The Laubental Council was formed to coordinate the efforts of the various guilds.

St. Albert & District Chamber of Commerce

  • Corporate body

The St. Albert & District Board of Trade was established on May 5, 1956. In April 1962, it became known as the St. Albert & District Chamber of Commerce. It hosts events including the St. Albert Farmers Market, the Trade Fair, Citizen of the Year Award, and the Rodeo parade held along with the Rainmaker rodeo.

"The St. Albert and District Chamber of Commerce is a membership, needs-driven organization, dedicated to providing a range of services and activities to fill current and emerging needs of the community and members we serve. We provide a forum for the analysis of issues, trends, opportunities and accomplishments that impact our membership specifically and St. Albert’s business community in general. As a group, our members are able to share information and insights for the benefit of the local business community. We interpret and report on changing governmental and economic conditions affecting the business environment. We represent the interests of our members in dealing with legislators and government officials by active and constructive participation in the legislative and administrative process." (Taken from St. Albert & District Chamber of Commerce website)

Squirettes of Mary, Marguerite D'Youville

  • 1993.27
  • Corporate body
  • 1964-1967

The Squirettes of Mary are a Roman Catholic girl's club sponsored by the local council of the Knights of Columbus. The purpose of the Squirettes is to bring Catholic girls ages 12 to 18 together to grow spiritually and socially while serving their communities.

A St. Albert branch of the Squirettes, the Marguerite d'Youville Circle #25 existed between 1964-1967. During their time in the town, the Squirettes participated in many activities, such as Canada's Centennial celebrations. Each Wednesday and Sunday during the summer of 1967, two members of the Squirettes gave tours of the Father Lacombe Museum and the Mission Hill area to visitors.

Sisters of Charity of Montreal

  • Corporate body
  • 1863 -

The Sisters of Charity of Montreal, more commonly known as the Grey Nuns, were founded in 1737 by Marie-Marguerite d'Youville in Montreal. Focusing on social services such as education and health, the Sisters plead an important role in many communities. The Sisters established themselves in St. Boniface in 1844, moving into Alberta at Lac Ste. Anne in 1851. On March 23, 1863, the three Sisters from Lac Ste. Anne, along with seven Native or Métis girls, moved to St. Albert where the Sisters set up much of the settlement's social infrastructure. As social services in Alberta and the rest of the country became more secularized, the role of the Sisters has evolved into more specialized areas such as taking care of the elderly.
On Oct. 4, 2000, a ceremony was held which signified the transfer of the Youville Home from the Sisters of Charity to the Caritas Health Group. On April 27, 2007, the grand opening of the new Youville Home was held.

Seminary

  • Corporate body
  • 1917 - 1927

The 110 street block in Edmonton was known as “Mission Block” as it included the Oblats Maison Provinciale, St. Joachim church, St. Joachim rectory and the Convent of the Faithful Companions of Jesus. “Mission Block” was built for the expanding French community in Edmonton on land that was acquired by the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1886. St. Joseph Seminary was located in Edmonton, Alberta on 9948-110 Street. The seminary first served as a rectory and then was expanded to a provincial house in 1907. In 1917, Bishop Legal converted the building into an Oblate Scholasticate run by the oblates. In 1927, the Archdiocese purchased the seminary. St. Joachim’s church was built in 1899 at 9920-110 Street in Edmonton Alberta.

Saddle Lake, AB

  • Corporate body

Saddle Lake earlier was called “Onihcikiskwapiwin” meaning “mirage on the lake” and this name was shortened to “Aspapiwin” meaning “Saddle.” The site was a gathering place for Cree bands in the spring. In 1876, Little Hunter and Kehkek signed Treaty 6 for Saddle Lake. In 1880, the group divided into three with Little Hunter’s band remaining at Saddle Lake, Blue Quill’s band going to Egg Lake (Whitford) and Bear Ear’s band going to Washatenow. In 1886, Blue Quill’s band moved back to Saddle Lake. Father Mérer founded a Roman Catholic mission, Sacred Heart, at Saddle Lake in 1888. The residential school opened in 1898 and was called Blue Quills but in 1931 the school moved to St. Paul.

Rowland family

  • Family
  • 1870 -

Sam Rowland (1870-1974) married Eleanor Plante (1888-1975) Two of their children are James Rowland (b. 1911), Emily Rowland and Francis Rowland. Emily Rowland married a Selvage, and they had a son Reginald Selvage. Reg Selvage had two daughters with Violet Owad (née McRae): Dianne Lorraine Owad (b. 12 Sep 1959) and Sandra Leigh Owad (n. 13 Dec 1962). Reg Selvage also had a son from another relationship, David Selvage.

Results 31 to 40 of 111