Showing 111 results

Authority record

Macpherson, Elizabeth

  • MHM
  • Person
  • 4 Oct 1937 - 2001

Elizabeth Macpherson was born on October 4, 1937 in Budapest, Hungary. Her parents Reginald and Leah (Lonia) Menzer fled Hungary when Elizabeth was a child. Her family settled in the Westmount neighborhood in Montréal. Elizabeth had a degree in biology from McGill University. She married Andrew Macpherson and together they conducted Arctic field studies. The couple later moved to Ottawa where Elizabeth worked at the National Museum of Natural Sciences. She published The Marine Molluscs of Arctic Canada in 1971. In 1970 the family moved to Edmonton where she worked for the Provincial Museum of Alberta and in 1988 she became the assistant curator of the Musée Héritage Museum. While at the Musée Héritage Museum, she created a database on Métis genealogy as well as published The Sun Traveller, a history of the Callihoo family. She retired in 1998 and published Murder of a Horse Thief, a fictitious book about a murder mystery in St. Albert, posthumously in 2001. Elizabeth Macpherson died in 2001 of leukemia.

Ouimet family

  • Family
  • 1869 -

Leda Provost, born on January 6, 1869, was from St. Charles, Quebec. She has 13 siblings and she was the eleventh child. In 1891 she married Joseph Adelard Ouimet at St. Rose Conte in Laval, Quebec. In 1892, the family moved to St. Albert, Alberta and farmed in Ray, also known as Glengarry or the Villeneuve district. The couple had eleven children including Emile Ouimet (1891-1891), Marie Bertha Emelda Ouimet (1892-1892), Joseph Roul Willie Ouimet (1893-1975), Yvonne Adele Ouimet (1896-1974), Marie Angelina Florina Ouimet (1897-1930), Filex Alfred (1899-1982), Marie Lina Ida Ouimet (1902-1979), Marie Leda Ouimet (1903-1903), Joseph Adelard Emile Alexis Ouimet (1904-1967), Marie Blanche Alice Ouimet (1905-1905) and Joseph Amede Simon Ouimet (1908-1978). Joseph Adelard Ouimet died July 1920 from a heart attack and Leda Ouimet died on February 1, 1930 from lung cancer.
WIlliam Ouimet married Ruth McDonnell on January 9, 1939, The couple had two children, Anita and Ralph.
Adele Ouimet married Theodore Comeau in November 1916. The couple had no children and lived in Legal and Villeneuve.
Florina Ouimet married Joseph Savoie in 1916 and had five children: Ed, Armand, Jeanne, Edith and Alice. She died at the age of 34.
Alfred Ouimet married Jeanne Monpetit of Legal in June 1924 and they had seven children. They owned a store and hotel in Pickardville and retired to Vancouver in the 1950s.
Lena Ouimet married Euclid Blais in April 1929. They farmed in the Pickardville area and then moved to Edmonton.
Alexis Ouimet married Lucile Mireault in July 17, 1928. The couple had six children: Adelard, Hubert, Alexia, Bernadette, Laurier and Denis. The family farmed north of Villeneuve and named their farm the River Dale Farm.
Simon Ouimet married Julia Verstraete on July 5, 1939. They farmed on Leda and Adelard's homestead. Their four children included Simone, Mona, Linda and Paul.

Sturgeon Community Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • 1969 -

Sturgeon General Hospital opened in 1969 on McKenney Avenue, but efforts to bring an active treatment hospital to St. Albert began in 1962. As St. Albert and other surrounding communities were denied by the provincial government, a coalition was formed to request a regional hospital, which in 1965 was granted, creating the Sturgeon General Hospital District No. 100. The Sturgeon General Hospital officially opened in August 1970. The Sturgeon General Hospital building on McKenney Avenue was closed in 1992 following the construction of a new facility on the north edge of the city and then demolished in 1994. The old structure was full of asbestos and thus considered unsafe.

St. Albert Historical Society

  • 2003.01
  • Corporate body
  • 1969 -

In 1969, Father Colin Levangie, OMI recruited volunteers to update the displays at Musée Lacombe Museum which was established in 1929. One of the volunteers, Arlene Borgstede, directed two committees; one on the care of collections and the other on display work. The committee which cared for the collections was responsible for cataloguing and finding the provenance of artifacts which had no inventory. The ownership of the artifacts belonged to either the Oblates of Mary Immaculate or the Archdiocese of Edmonton. By 1971, the Father Lacombe Museum Board was formed to help administer the museum and the artifacts. At this point, Musée Lacombe Museum changed its name to Father Lacombe Museum. The Museum Board was incorporated in 1972 as the St. Albert Historical Society (SAHS) with Arlene Borgstede as president. The society was interested in managing, collecting and preserving materials related to the history of St. Albert as well as administering the Father Lacombe Museum and increasing public awareness of St. Albert’s history. In 1975, SAHS hired a permanent Heritage Officer to coordinate museum work, conduct tours and answer reference requests.
SAHS was also responsible for the establishment of the Albert Lacombe Historical Foundation (ALHF) in 1977. The ALHF formed in response to the Oblates’ plans to demolish Vital Grandin Centre, also known as the Bishop’s Residence. ALHF’s purpose was to sponsor, establish and administer a historical complex including Father Lacombe Chapel and Vital Grandin Centre on St. Albert’s Mission Hill. In 1978, SAHS conducted a historical buildings inventory. Once the province designated Vital Grandin Centre a provincial historic site, the ALHF disbanded. From 1977 to 1983, SAHS administered the Father Lacombe Museum during the summer months under the auspices of Provincial Historic Sites. SAHS was responsible for hiring staff, managing programs, receiving money to administer the chapel and paying for operations.
In 1980, SAHS undertook a project to restore the bells on Mission hill. Father Émile Tardiff, OMI believed that the bells were cracked so he rested the bells in a stone frame in 1957. Later, it was discovered that the bells were out of tune and not cracked and as a project for Alberta’s 75th anniversary, the bells were restored into a campanile. This restoration took place with the assistance of Canadian Pacific Railway and the federal government.
SAHS was extensively involved in the planning and development of St. Albert Place, the city’s civic, cultural and administrative complex. In 1983 the Musée Héritage Museum was opened. SAHS gave Musée its small collection of artifacts and Musée had to treat those artifacts as loans. Care of the artifacts and exhibits became the responsibility of the new museum under the City of St. Albert.
In 1988, SAHS organized a Homecoming to have a reunion for significant and founding families and individuals of the community. With the homecoming, SAHS undertook a project called Founder’s Walk. They laid out a shale walkway and plaques as well as planted trees to honour significant and founding families and peoples for St. Albert. The shale walkway was not maintained and, in 2006, the society initiated a project to make a new Founder’s Walk. The City of St. Albert, SAHS and a number of stakeholders and funding contributors were involved in the project. The new Founder’s Walk was completed in 2011 for St. Albert’s 150th anniversary and resulted in historical panels, landscaping and a walkway to honour St. Albert’s history.
SAHS was also involved in publications and much of their collection developed around their publishing activities. Their publications include St. Albert: A Pictorial History (1978), Black Robe’s Vision: A History of St. Albert and District (1985), and A Week in the Life of St. Albert (1990). SAHS also created videos regarding St. Albert’s History. In 2001, Then, Now and Forever was produced.
In 2011, the society undertook a Buffalo Hunt project to honour the buffalo hunt as a heritage activity that was crucial to the first settlers of St. Albert. According to the society, agriculture was not sufficient for the community to survive and the hunt was integral to the fecundicity of the community. The Buffalo Hunt project resulted in a statue erected on south-east corner of Sir Winston Churchill and Perron St.
SAHS was renamed St. Albert Heritage Society from 1998 to 2005, but returned to its original incorporated name in 2005. The aims of the SAHS from this point were to encourage an appreciation of the history of St. Albert by preserving and promoting the history of St. Albert and area.
The SAHS voted to dissolve the organization at their AGM on Sept. 26, 2020.

St. Albert Festival of the Arts society

  • MHM
  • Corporate body
  • 1979 - 1990

The Festival of the Arts was put on in July in St. Albert annually from 1979 as part of the Summer Games celebrations until 1990 when the Society folded. It included Craft Fair and Sale, Exhibitions of art, poetry contests, dinner theatre and music review, outdoor plays and variety shows, writer's seminar, photography contest, citizenship ceremony and concerts. Kathleen Rowlands was president for a number of years.

Knights of Columbus St. Albert Council #4742

  • MHM
  • Corporate body
  • 16 Feb 1959 -

The Knights of Columbus St. Albert Council #4742 was formed in 16 Feb 1959. They function within St. Albert to promote activities and programs that exemplify the Knights of Columbus principles of Charity, Unity, Fraternity and Patriotism. Activities they organize include pancake breakfasts, parish picnics, pilgrimage and Parish Grotto mass, various charitable work in the community.

Hauptman family

  • MHM
  • Family
  • 1876 -

Antoni Hauptman (b. 1876, d. 1942) and Katarzyna Mielniczek (b. 1880, d.1933) lived in Poland and had twelve children, including sons Stan (Stanislaw) (d. 27 May 1963), Kelly (Kazimierz) (d. 21 Feb 1956), Joseph (Joe) (d. 27 Oct 1985), Walter, Ted (d. 21 May 1978), and Karl (Karol) (2 Jan 2017), and daughters Maria (d. 29 Aug 1996) and Antonina. Joe Hauptman married Bernice (Bronislawa) Palonek in 1936; their son Adam was born 15 Jun 1939.

In 1940, at the outbreak of the Second World War, the Hauptman family was deported to Kotlas, in far northern Siberia. One son, Frank, died of dysentery at the camp. In 1941, at the declaration of Amnesty, the Hauptman family arrived at Samarkand. The men in the Hauptman family, John, Joe, Walter, Ted and Karl, joined the Polish Army in 1942. Sadly, John did not survive the war and their elderly father, Antoni, became ill and died in Uzbekistan. Two of the brother’s wives, along with Joe’s two-year-old son, Adam, eventually travelled to Uganda where they spent the rest of the war. Several years before the war, the two oldest Hauptman brothers, Stan and Kelly, had already emigrated to Canada. They married two Ukrainian sisters from Lamont and began the first of many businesses that the family would be involved in.

Stan Hauptman moved to St. Albert and became part owner of the Bruin Inn in the late 1940s. In 1953 he opened the St. Albert Drive-In. When the Karl and Ted arrived in St. Albert, they moved into the Bruin Inn and Ted began to work in the bar. After six years of separation Joe’s wife Bernice and nine-year-old Adam finally arrived in 1948. Bernice became the cook at the Bruin Inn where she stayed until her retirement.

Ted Hauptman went on to open the Dairy Star drive-in and the very successful Klondike Inn restaurant on St. Albert Trail.

Joe Hauptman’s son, Adam Hauptman, grew up to own his own school bus business and later, he and his wife Pat bought out Lefebvre’s jewellery store in 1968 renaming it “Sweetheart Jeweller’s”.

Karl Hauptman got a job in the aircraft industry and later started his own business, “Karol Radio Repair Service”. He opened the first drive-through restaurant in St. Albert, the Klondike Inn. Karl also served on the St. Albert Chamber of Commerce, St. Albert Parish Finance Committee and as a member of the Knights of Columbus. In 1951, Karl was married to Annette (d. 18 Sep 1981) and had sons Richard (b. 24 Jul 1953) and John, and daughter Katherine (b. 18 Nov 1958). After the death of Annette, Karl remarried in Jun 1986 to Kathy Engley.

Woodward, Florence Mae

  • Person
  • 3 Aug 1927 -

Florence Mae Woodward (nee Miller) was born in Winterburn on August 3, 1927 to Henry Charles Miller and Maria Amanda Gagne. She married Cecil Archibald Woodward at St. Stephen's College Chapel, University of Alberta, in 1953. She had three children: Lynne Jane Woodward (b. 5 Apr 1954), Katherine Anne Woodward (b. 21 Nov 1955), and William Arlie Woodward (b. 31 Oct 1957).

Ratchinsky, Anita

  • MHM
  • Person
  • fl. 1986-1998

Anita Ratchinsky was the chairwoman of the St. Albert Chamber of Commerce in 1985 and 1986. In 1986, Ratchinsky ran for city council and was elected as alderman. She then ran as mayor and was elected for three consecutive terms from 1989-1998. Ratchinsky was St. Albert's first full-time mayor and first female mayor.

Bracko, Len

  • MHM
  • Person
  • 2 Dec 1943 - 19 Aug 2017

Leonard (Len) Bracko was born in 1943 in St. Albert, Alberta. He graduated from the University of Alberta with a Bachelor of Education and a graduate diploma in Education administration. Bracko began teaching junior and senior high in St. Albert Catholic school in 1979. In 1989, Bracko ran for MLA in the provincial election with the Alberta Liberal party. However, he came in second to Progressive Conservative Richard (Dick) Fowler, former mayor of St. Albert. Later in that same year, Bracko ran for St. Albert City Council and was elected as alderman. He served as alderman from 1989-1992 before running again and winning a seat as MLA in the 1993 provincial election. Bracko served as MLA with the Liberal official opposition caucus from 1993-1997, when he lost his seat to Mary O’Neill. He returned to teaching and retired in 1997. After his retirement, Bracko ran for and was elected again to the City Council of St. Albert, and he served as alderman from 2001-2013, having been reelected three times (2004, 2007, and 2010). Bracko and his wife Barb were active with Habitat for Humanity and international development. Bracko passed away on 19 Aug 2017.

Results 1 to 10 of 111