Showing 108 results

Authority record

150th Anniversary Celebration Committee

  • MHM
  • Corporate body
  • 2008 - 2011

In 2011, St. Albert celebrated 150 years since its foundation in 1861. The 150th Anniversary Celebration Committee was established in 2008 with the Mission of organizing celebrations for this 150th anniversary that would engage citizens in the past, present, and future of the city. The Values of this Committee were inclusiveness, stewardship, respect, diversity, innovation, understanding, participation, and volunteerism. Margaret Plain was appointed Chair of the Committee in May 2008. Carol Watamaniuk was the vice-chair and the other Committee members were Barry Bailey, Abi Iskander, Kevin Jones, Susan Jones, Doug Kennedy, and Kent La Rose. Various sub-committees were formed to support and help the Committee, including Volunteer, Sponsorship, Partner and Operations support, Communications, Youth, Homecoming, and Rendezvous Picnic.

The Committee hosted and partnered in a variety of celebration activities over the course of 2011. There were numerous unveilings of arts and heritage pieces, such as the 150th Anniversary Quilt, George Todd Memorial, Millie Seitz Volunteer sculpture, Heart of Our Community Mural, and Star Woman sculpture. The opening of Founders' Walk and the grand reopening of the restored Grain Elevators were also included as part of the celebration. Other notable celebration events were a production of "The Black Bonspiel of Wullie MacCrimmon" from Jan. 14-16, 2011; the Canadian Western Bank Rendezvous 2011 Gala on Jan. 22, 2011; Family Day Snow Festival on Feb. 21, 2011; Cupcake Challenge on May 1, 2011; Meet the Street on June 12, 2011; Soapbox Derby on June 19, 2011; Battle of the Bands on July 1, 2011; Lehigh Hanson Rendezvous 2011 Homecoming event on July 16, 2011; Rendezvous Picnic on Aug. 28, 2011; and numerous parades.

A SENSIBLE Choice committee

  • Corporate body
  • 2001

A citizen action committee called "A S.E.N.S.I.B.L.E. Choice" was formed to draw attention to the problems of the Proposed Ray Gibbon/Riel Drive Road. Dawne Fowler, wife of Richard Fowler, was heavily involved in planning and speaking on behalf of this committee. The committee was involved in organizing information meetings, presenting at City Council, hosting a petition, and running ads in the Gazette.

Alpha Psi Chapter, Beta Sigma Phi

  • Corporate body
  • 1979 to present

The Beta Sigma Phi Sorority is a women's social, service and cultural organization. The first chapter was opened by seven women in Abilene, Kansas in 1931. Its original purpose was to provide cultural and intellectual stimulation to women who could not afford to attend college during the depression. It is now the world's largest Greek letter sorority.

The St. Albert chapter, Alpha Psi, was founded December 4, 1978 as a friendly venture by Xi Phi (Exemplar Degree.) The chapter began with fourteen members. The chapter had its first meeting on January 15, 1979. The chapter's participation in the community has included providing friendship to Youville Home residents and sponsoring babysitting courses.

Arden Theatre

  • Corporate body
  • 1984 -

When St. Albert Place was being built in 1982-83 there was a contest to name the future theatre. A winner was chosen out of a number of great submissions. The winner was Shyamal Bagchee, and his suggestion was to call the theatre the Arden. Welcoming more than 65,000 patrons to over 150 events annually, The Arden has presented excellence in artistic programming for over 30 years, offering a variety of music, theatre, and dance events for arts lovers of all ages.

Atkinson, Seibert family

  • Family
  • 1906 - 1967

Luisa Vollmer was born in St. Jacobs, Ontario in 1865 and Jeremiah Seibert was born at Heifelberg, Ontario in 1857. Luisa Vollmer and Jeremiah Seibert married and farmed at Port Huron on the Lake Huron coast in Ontario. They had six children including Fred, Herbert, Florence, Lulu, Marguerite and Percival. In 1917, the family moved to St. Albert and had purchased land beside the Atkinson brother’s homestead where they farmed.

Thomas Atkinson came to Edmonton from Liverpool, England with his two brothers, Jim and Ted in 1907. The brothers found work in Edmonton laying foundations for the swimming pool of Edmonton’s first Y.M.C.A. and working on the sewer system. Later that year, the brothers made their first homestead west of Edmonton near Wabamun Lake. On the homestead, Thomas Atkinson had a sawmill for which he required an Engineers certificate from the Department of Public Works. In 1911, his other brother Jack came to Canada and moved to the homestead. The brothers supplied lumber for cottages built along Seba Beach. In 1913, the brothers’ sister Mary came to Canada and lived at her brothers’ homestead.

The one brother Jim as well as Mary’s future husband, Perley Cull from Seba Beach, served in WWI. The other brothers were exempt from the war on account of their importance in food production. In 1917, the brothers moved their homestead to St. Albert. They purchased the land from Arthur Sifton who was premier of Alberta. In 1920, Mary Atkinson and Perley Cull were married. Much later, in 1945, Jack Atkinson married Eunice Holmes.

On December 18, 1919, Thomas Atkinson married Florence Seibert, daughter of Jeremiah and Luisa Seibert. Florence Seibert had been working as a secretary for the Government of Alberta until she married Thomas Atkinson and consequently, she supported the farm and her husband’s work and family. Thomas Atkinson and Florence Seibert had two daughters, Helen who was born in 1921 and Gladys who was born in 1926. Helen Atkinson married Wilfred Naundorf in 1945 and the couple had three daughters. Gladys married Keith Gibson in 1946 and they had five children. In 1952, the Atkinson brothers’ farm was sold to H.R. Milner.
Thomas and Florence Atkinson moved to Edmonton after the farm was sold and Thomas Atkinson died in 1969. Florence Atkinson died in 1972. Earlier, Jeremiah Seibert died in 1955 and Luisa Seibert died in 1947.

Results 1 to 10 of 108