Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Graphic material
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Original title
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- St. Albert Women's Institute
- St. Albert
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The St. Albert Women's Institute was a branch of the Alberta Women's Institute. The Alberta Women's Institute was originally organized by private citizens in 1909, and established as a body within the Department of Agriculture in 1916. The institute was designed to improve social conditions in rural and other communities by studying home economics and child welfare. The Women's Institute is a non-political, non-sectarian, and non-racial organization. It is open to rural and town women over the age of sixteen.
The interest in forming a local chapter of the Women's Institute formed after the end of World War II. The women who had worked together in the local Red Cross sought another organization in which they could serve the community. The St. Albert branch of the Women's Institute was organized on 29 October 1946 at a meeting held in the St. Albert Community Hall. The local chapter was started by Mrs. Morton who at the time was the provincial president and the St. Albert chapter's first president was Susie Atkinson.
The group was responsible for many activities in the area including founding the St. Albert library, founding the first local scholarship, organizing the first blood donor clinic in 1947, and helping with medical services in St. Albert and Sturgeon County. They also regularly arranged flower shows and community fairs, distributed Christmas hampers, set up fitness classes for women, and provided landscaping services for public areas.
The St. Albert branch continued its activities until the membership, which by then only numbered eight, voted to disband on 2 December 2004.
Scope and content
The fonds consist of the contents of four loose-leaf binders containing albums/scrapbooks depicting the activities of the St. Albert Women's Institute from 1946 to 2004. The binders form a record of the activities of the St. Albert Women’s Institute over the life of the organization. The records include photographs, newspaper clippings, meeting notes, programs, and cards. There are details of annual meetings and elected officers, regional meetings, special events, birth announcements, fashion shows, talks and visits.
A second accrual includes the materials regarding when the St. Albert Women's Institute won top prize in the Alberta Women's Institute Handicraft Convention. The material includes entry forms and trophies.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Finding Aid created by Meribeth Plenert June 2012.
Language of description