Showing 120 results

Archival description
Brigadier-General Raymond Brutinel fonds
Print preview View:

94 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Brigadier-General Raymond Brutinel fonds

  • CA MHM 2014.22
  • Fonds
  • 1882 - 1964, 1966 - 2011

The fonds consists of photographs and postcards, Brutinel's personal papers, documents related to his properties, his family papers, and research material about his life. The photographs and postcards depict Brutinel, his family, his properties, and the Canadian Motor Machine Gun Corps. Brutinel's personal papers include records created during his lifetime, 1882-1964, which include general correspondence, operation reports from WWI, manuscripts and histories of the Machine Gun Corps, related newspaper articles, military and civic honours and certificates, and photographs. There are also legal and financial documents, maps and plans, and correspondence about purchase and sale of properties, Chateau de Couloume and Chateau de Bordaberry. Family papers include condolence letters and a collection of Brutinel's obituary from different newspapers. The research materials include different biographical sketches and manuscripts about Brutinel, genealogical research, and the Brutinels' marriage and divorce information. This fonds is arranged into five series: Photographs and postcards, Personal papers, Property, Family papers, and Research.

Brutinel, Raymond, Brigadier-General

Brutinel with Canadian Machine Gun Brigade Staff

This photograph depicts Brutinel in military uniform seated with four members of his Machine Gun Brigade standing behind him. From left to right: Captain J.K. Lawson, Major J.D. Foster, Captain M.R. Lever (Marshall), and Lieutenant P.M. Hume. An inscription on the photograph reads "G.O.C. Canadian Machine Gun and Staff--11th Nov"

Plaque commemorating Brutinel and the Canadian Machine Gun Brigade

This photograph depicts the commemoration plaques in the Chateau Laurier, Ottawa. On the top of the plaque, there is a circular relief of Brutinel and a relief showing Canadian machine guns on Vimy Ridge. The plaque commemorates the Canadian Machine Gun Corps commanded by Brigadier-General R. Brutinel, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., and the memory of the members of the Canadian Machine Gun Corps who died on active service and in honour of those who served 1914-1919. A smaller plaque underneath reads "In the Chateau Laurier, the Canadian Machine Gun Corps had its beginning--Here in August 1914, Major Raymond Brutinel enrolled the first recruits for the Corps."

Brutinel's armoured vehicle beside a 1956 tank

This photograph depicts the armoured vehicle designed by Brutinel in 1914 driving alongside a 1956 tank. General F.F. Worthington is driving the armoured vehicle. A caption reads "Quarante-deux ans se sont ecoules entre le char blinde Canadien de Brutinel de 1914 et le char d'assaut de 1956" (Forty-two years have elapsed between the Canadian armoured tank of Brutinel of 1914 and the tank of 1956.)

Vehicles of the 1st Canadian Automobile Machine Gun Brigade moving to the Rockcliffe Ranges, Ottawa.

This photograph depicts six vehicles of the 1st Canadian Automobile Machine Gun Brigade moving to the Rockcliffe Ranges, Ottawa, for inspection by the Governor General. All variants of the 20 trucks purchased from the Auto Car Company of Ardmore, Pennsylvania, can be seen. Right to left: officers' liaison vehicle, "Auto Car" armoured car, couple of general transport vehicles, shop van, and ambulance. This photograph was taken by the Surveyor General's Office in Ottawa.

Line up of six vehicles

This photograph depicts six vehicles of the 1st Automobile Machine Gun Brigade commanded by Brutinel parked side by side in a field, with the drivers facing the front. From right to left: the lead vehicle, armoured vehicle, three transport vehicles, and a field ambulance. The photograph was taken by the Surveyor General's Office in Ottawa.

Armoured vehicle from 1st Automobile Machine Gun Brigade

This photograph depicts an armoured vehicle from the 1st Automobile Machine Gun Brigade, which was commanded by Brutinel. The vehicle is manned by two drivers in the front and four gunners in the back. Several different vehicles are parked in the background. This photograph was taken by the Surveyor General's Office in Ottawa.

Results 1 to 10 of 120