Series - Scrapbooks

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Scrapbooks

General material designation

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of series

Level of description

Series

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1946-2005 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Albert Women's Institute
    Place
    St. Albert

Physical description area

Physical description

25 cm of scrapbooks

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1946-2004)

Administrative history

The St. Albert Women's Institute was a branch of the Alberta Women's Institute. The Alberta Women's Institute was originally organized by private citizens in 1909, and established as a body within the Department of Agriculture in 1916. The institute was designed to improve social conditions in rural and other communities by studying home economics and child welfare. The Women's Institute is a non-political, non-sectarian, and non-racial organization. It is open to rural and town women over the age of sixteen.

The interest in forming a local chapter of the Women's Institute formed after the end of World War II. The women who had worked together in the local Red Cross sought another organization in which they could serve the community. The St. Albert branch of the Women's Institute was organized on 29 October 1946 at a meeting held in the St. Albert Community Hall. The local chapter was started by Mrs. Morton who at the time was the provincial president and the St. Albert chapter's first president was Susie Atkinson.

The group was responsible for many activities in the area including founding the St. Albert library, founding the first local scholarship, organizing the first blood donor clinic in 1947, and helping with medical services in St. Albert and Sturgeon County. They also regularly arranged flower shows and community fairs, distributed Christmas hampers, set up fitness classes for women, and provided landscaping services for public areas.

The St. Albert branch continued its activities until the membership, which by then only numbered eight, voted to disband on 2 December 2004.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Series contains four scrapbooks.

Notes area

Arrangement

Language of material

    Script of material

      Location of originals

      Availability of other formats

      Restrictions on access

      Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

      Finding aids

      Associated materials

      Related materials

      Accruals

      Alternative identifier(s)

      Standard number

      Standard number

      Access points

      Subject access points

      Place access points

      Name access points

      Genre access points

      Control area

      Description record identifier

      Institution identifier

      2007.15

      Status

      Level of detail

      Language of description

        Accession area