Title and statement of responsibility area
Weiller & Williams Co. Ltd. fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
- Moving images
- Cartographic material
- Sound recording
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the fonds
Level of description
CA MHM 2015.01
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
ca. 1810 - 11 Mar. 2015, predominantly 11 Dec. 1925 - 1990 (Creation)
- Weiller & Williams Co. Ltd.
Physical description area
4.8 m of textual and other materials
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Weiller & Williams Co. Ltd. of the North Edmonton Stockyards is one of the oldest cattle-commission firms in Canada. The company was chartered to buy and sell, import and export, and slaughter cattle, hogs, sheep, poultry and all other livestock and livestock products. As well, they acquired ranches and farms to carry on the trade of livestock rearing and manufacturing, and erected buildings necessary for the purposes of the company’s business.
In 1911, Leland Stanford Williams moved from New York to Edmonton to work for Swift & Company where he started in construction work, but later progressed to handle Swift’s livestock department. In 1916, Swift Canadian Co. transferred Williams to work in Winnipeg, where his talent in the livestock commission business was recognized by Henry Weiller. In 1917, Williams began working with Weiller in a livestock commission business named, Wood, Weiller & McCarthy in Edmonton. When McCarthy of the partnership resigned, the company was renamed.
Thus, on December 11, 1925, Weiller & Williams Co. Ltd. was co-founded by the two. Since the founding, Weiller and Williams built a strong relationship with Weiller responsible for the financial backing, and Williams on the livestock commission frontline. By 1927, in addition to the main stake in Edmonton, Weiller and Williams had opened offices in Calgary, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, St. Paul (Minnesota), and Chicago (Illinois). The company later expanded to additional branches in Lloydminster (Saskatchewan) and Fargo (North Dakota). When Weiller passed away in 1956, Williams took over as the principal of the company.
The records were originally in the custody of Leland Stanford Williams. After his death, along with his estate, the records were passed on to Leland’s son, Jack Leland Redavats Williams. Later, the records were inherited by his life partner, Leona Pritchard who eventually donated them to the museum.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of records of Weiller & Williams Co. Ltd.’s business dealings, the Williams’ family history, and Lee Williams' horse breeding and horse racing.
There was no specified arrangement. The archivist and archives assistant have arranged this fonds according to the order it was received in.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Catalan is the native language of Majorca, Spain, where the Redavats originated from.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Financial records are to be withheld from public access until January 1, 2045.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Related artifacts will be processed and made available in the collections database.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Level of detail
Language of description